chrome browser app icon disappears from menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
germanix
Level 3
Level 3

chrome browser app icon disappears from menu

Post by germanix »

Hi, here is a strange problem. I have 3 Lenovo Thinkpads all running Linux Mint 19, cinnamon edition. I normally use Firefox as my browser, but decided to try google chrome instead. This is what happens:

1. On my Thinkpad X230, google chrome appears in the software store and can be installed directly from the store. After the installation the app icon appears in the cinnamon menu under "other". I then also add it to favourites and add it to the panel. After a re-start the icon is missing all over. No icon in favourites, or the panel or under other in the menu. The software store still shows it as installed and I can start it direct from there.

2. On both my Thinkpads 11e and X1 Carbon, the google chrome app does not show up in the software store at all? Here I have to download and install from the google chrome website. It works fine but here also, after a new start, the app is nowhere to be found in either the menu or the panel.

I installed Chromium instead and it works fine also after a new start.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
a man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: chrome browser app icon disappears from menu

Post by trytip »

chrome has to be installed from https://www.google.com/chrome/ try it again
germanix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by germanix »

Thank you for your answer but as you can see from my point 2 above, I did install it from that same website as well with no success.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Germanix.

Which Linux Mint precisely brings along a "Software Store"? To the best of my knowledge, all supported Ubuntu based Linux Mint releases, come with "Software Manager" (mintinstall).

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

you mentioned "Google" chrome in the software manager, did you perhaps mistake "chromium" browser for "google" chrome browser ?...DAMIEN

edit...ooops, i missed that one...you have "chromium" installed now...lol...i would stick with the open source chromium over the propriatory Google
germanix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by germanix »

Well I guess some call it a software store, others maybe sofware manager, here in my country it is called the Anwendungsverwaltung (german) but it boils down to the same thing. That place where you install the software packages from.

And no, I did not confuse chromium with chrome. As you can read in my original post, I also did install chromium and it works, but chrome does not. No matter if I install it from the chrome website or from the software manager.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Chrome is never in the Software Manager by default, if you found it there that means you added a repository containing it yourself. Whether that's actually the official repository or a third party PPA I cannot say. You can see where you installed it from via apt policy google-chrome.stable (or whatever the package you have installed is called).

That said, right click the menu button, select Configure, find the menu editor on the second tab and see if you can find the Chrome entries, they may be hidden for whatever reason. If you cannot find them, either uninstall chrome and re-install, or just add your own menu entry while you're in the editor.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

germanix wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:06 pmWell I guess some call it a software store, others maybe sofware manager, here in my country it is called the Anwendungsverwaltung (german)
This is what I wanted to know: you installed Chrome via Anwendungsverwaltung (official German name) = Software Manager (official English name).
"Software Store" might have been some alternative Software Manager or somethings totally different.
Question answered.
--
Anwendungsverwaltung / Software Manager leads back to gm10's reply above.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”