Where can the source code of 4.15 kernel can be downloaded from?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Where can the source code of 4.15 kernel can be downloaded from?

Post by Valsodar »

I'm asking for a friend who doesn't want to create an account here (too paranoid, I guess) and ask for himself. He's a programmer and I asked him if he can remove the dependency for the microcode. But he mostly writes Windows programs and doesn't know where he can get the source of the 4.15 kernel. And neither do I, for that matter.
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Firefox 65+ x64, 5.0.13-arch1-1-ARCH Cinnamon
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Where can the source code of 4.15 kernel can be downloaded from?

Post by jimallyn »

My guess would be that you can get the source for the Linux kernel - probably every version ever released - at kernel.org. Probably on github, too. Mint kernels generally come from Ubuntu, and I'd bet those are also readily available, likely somewhere on Ubuntu's web site.

P.S. It's possible - maybe even likely - that the microcode isn't actually a dependency of the kernel itself, but the install package lists it as a dependency, because the packager thinks you should have it. As far as I know, you can list anything you want as a dependency in a .deb file.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Valsodar wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:22 pm
I'm asking for a friend who doesn't want to create an account here (too paranoid, I guess) and ask for himself. He's a programmer and I asked him if he can remove the dependency for the microcode. But he mostly writes Windows programs and doesn't know where he can get the source of the 4.15 kernel. And neither do I, for that matter.
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/

See: viewtopic.php?t=135530

Also see: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.18.7/

Go one level up to get to an earlier kernel.

Note that the kernel v4.15.x at kernel.org and at kernel.ubuntu.com is not the same 4.15 kernel in Mint, which is the ubuntu maintained LTS kernel.

Your mate is up for a fun time. Apart from the microcode update, the kernel is chock a-block full of mitigation code, all over the place.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:44 pm
P.S. It's possible - maybe even likely - that the microcode isn't actually a dependency of the kernel itself, but the install package lists it as a dependency, because the packager thinks you should have it.
Hi, Jim

There are also mitigations in the kernel source. It's going to be a nightmare to undo.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

Sounds like I'd better go to LMDE, since it's unclear whether my friend will be able to cope with the code and Mint team has no intention to remove that microcode dependency.
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Firefox 65+ x64, 5.0.13-arch1-1-ARCH Cinnamon
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Valsodar wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:34 pm
and Mint team has no intention to remove that microcode dependency.
They also don't have any intention to block Microsoft's Automatic Updates nor change Coke's recipe again.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Valsodar wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:34 pm
Sounds like I'd better go to LMDE, since it's unclear whether my friend will be able to cope with the code and Mint team has no intention to remove that microcode dependency.
I don't know if you can blacklist it but it's worth looking into.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Valsodar wrote:
You don't need to modify any source. Just run this:

Code: Select all

apt purge linux-image-generic intel-microcode amd64-microcode
This removes the microcode from your system. Depending on your version of Mint/Update Manager you may have to keep kernels up to date manually after that via Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels. Also depending on how you had installed your previous kernel you should stay away from the apt autoremove command after this. ;) (or apt markmanual the packages of your current kernel just in case).

Disclaimer: I do not recommend that you do this. Those microcode updates fix real security issues. You should be using them.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Valsodar wrote:
If said programmer, WIndows or not, doesn't even know how to find the Linux kernel source code they're not much of a programmer. Seen too many people who call themselves programmers who only know html and visual basic and not very well at that.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:00 am
Seen too many people who call themselves programmers who only know html and visual basic and not very well at that.
I thought all you needed to know was:

javascript:alert("Look mom, I'm a programmer!");
MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:19 am
I thought all you needed to know was:

javascript:alert("Look mom, I'm a programmer!");
According to every book I've read, and even the infamous "some guy on the internet" the output must say Hello World!

Only then, can you call yourself a programmer.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

MrEen wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 am
Only then, can you call yourself a programmer.
My mistake, I didn't realize the rules were so strict. ;) Good thing I never claimed I was a programmer then.
HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

Programming is easy, insert food set microwave to desired heat time. DONE! Stand in front of microwave looking into it to see if there are any microwave leaks in the unit. 8)
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

HaveaMint wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:22 am
Programming is easy, insert food set microwave to desired heat time. DONE! Stand in front of microwave looking into it to see if there are any microwave leaks in the unit. 8)
I lol'ed IRL. :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”