Application no longer starts after system updates

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tubaclarinet

Application no longer starts after system updates

Post by tubaclarinet »

Greetings Linux Mint lovers,

This morning when I booted up my PC I ran updates via the Linux Mint update manager (gui). The updates which were run were:
  • mint-backgrounds-sylvia 1.2
  • linux-libc-dev 4.4.0-135.161
After installing these updates, I followed my usual routine which included opening KeePassXC (flatpak from the LM package manager); however, when I clicked the KeePassXC icon, nothing happened. I tried opening the application from the menu with the same result. I rebooted- same result. I reinstalled the application using the LM package manager- same result. Would these system updates really break KeePassXC? How can I roll back the updates? Is there something other than the updates which broke KeePassXC? Any ideas?

I am running LM 18.3 "Sylvia" 64-bit with Cinnamon desktop environment.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Application no longer starts after system updates

Post by richyrich »

I don't know the name of the executable file, but try running it from the Terminal. ( Example : keepassxc)
When it spits out errors, please copy/paste the entire output back here in a reply.
tubaclarinet

Post by tubaclarinet »

richyrich,

Thanks for your reply to my request for help. I played around a bit with the commands in the terminal and I believe that one of the two following error messages is what you're seeking:

Code: Select all

~ $ keepassxc
No command 'keepassxc' found, did you mean:
 Command 'keepassx' from package 'keepassx' (universe)
keepassxc: command not found
or

Code: Select all

~ $ /usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=keepassxc --file-forwarding org.keepassxc.KeePassXC @@ %f @@
error: Unknown socket type ssh-auth, valid types are: x11, wayland, pulseaudio, session-bus, system-bus
For your information, the second command which is displayed above is the command which is used by the "shortcut" which is located on my panel. Also for your information, I noticed that the flatpak KeePassXC application found on one of my PCs at home is also broken; however, I had not yet run updates, so maybe the updates did not break the app. :?:

HTH
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Consider using the official version either from the regular repository or by adding the offical ppa https://launchpad.net/~phoerious/+archi ... /keepassxc instead of that apparently not well maintained flatpak.

I never had anything but trouble with flatpaks, I'm surprised people like them so much.
tubaclarinet

Post by tubaclarinet »

This is basically my first experience with flatpak. Linux Mint 18.3's official repository for KeePassXC is a flatpak package and that's why I have it on my system. Installing from the PPA is a temporary work-around, but as LM includes more flatpak packages within its package manager, I wonder if we will see related trouble in the future. According to https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_ci ... atsnew.php, flatpak is the way to go, so we'll see.

Thank you.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ah, my bad, I didn't realize Mint 18 didn't have a non-flatpak keepassxc (Mint 19 does). But just stick to the PPA, that's run by the keepassxc developers.
tubaclarinet

Post by tubaclarinet »

gm10,

Thanks. I'm happy for your willingness to help.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Although I'd also use the PPA in this case, as to the more generic Flatpak doubt 3 posts up also see viewtopic.php?f=90&t=277629&p=1526390#p1526390. That is, another method of fixing things is by upgrading flatpak. Not sure of the mechanisms but one could imagine not Flatpak but either Mint to be at fault here for not upgrading to a newer release from the on 18.3 standard 0.10.0, or the KeePassXC flatpak for not correctly specifying a minimal flatpak version -- if that's an available mechanism at all; I frankly don't know.

Return to “Software & Applications”