No File or Directory Found...with a twist (Keysight ADS) [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mike402

No File or Directory Found...with a twist (Keysight ADS) [SOLVED]

Post by Mike402 »

The issue: I'm trying to install keysight ADS on linux mint 19. It's supposed to run on redhat/suse, but the tech reps say it will and has worked on ubuntu machines. I succesfully installed the software, but i need to setup the license now by following these steps: http://edadocs.software.keysight.com/di ... nd+Solaris

Essentially, I have to run the executable lmgrd. I'm in the directory containing lmgrd, but it says that the file/directory is not found.

./lmgrd -c /usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/Licensing/54ee75a5845f_20180907083004.lic -1 /usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/Licensing/log.txt
bash: ./lmgrd: No such file or directory

Examining the file information shows the following. It's a 64 bit executable, and some other stuff that I can't say i understand.

file lmgrd
lmgrd: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped

I've talked with the keysight representative, and he mentioned that it could be a Linux Mint security protocol preventing lmgrd from being executed. I've tried executing it with room permission, but still have no luck.

Do you guys have any ideas of what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No File or Directory Found...with a twist

Post by greerd »

Hi Mike,

There shouldn't be any security policy with a default Mint install that would stop the execution of lmgrd, I think he's referring to selinux ( that RadHat & CentOS use).

I noticed that your command
./lmgrd -c /usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/Licensing/54ee75a5845f_20180907083004.lic -1 /usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/Licensing/log.txt
should use a small 'L' instead, according to your link.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Mike402 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 am Examining the file information shows the following. It's a 64 bit executable, and some other stuff that I can't say i understand.
Post output of

Code: Select all

inxi -SC
please
Mike402

Post by Mike402 »

Ahhh It's a small L, not a 1. Good catch. Unfortunately the same error still occurs. I've copied and pasted from the website just to be sure.

Running the inxi -sc command in my home directory gives:

~$ inxi -sc
/usr/bin/inxi: option requires an argument -- c
Error 7: One of the options you entered in your script parameters: -sc
is not supported.The option may require extra arguments to work.
For supported options (and their arguments), check the help menu: inxi -h

I can run inxi -- sc, however, and it gives something. I dont know if this is helpful but I figured I'd post:

$ inxi -- sc
CPU~Dual core Intel Core i5-6200U (-MT-MCP-) speed/max~500/2800 MHz Kernel~4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 Up~19:41 Mem~2476.5/7849.1MB HDD~256.1GB(13.7% used) Procs~231 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mike402 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 am inxi -sc
inxi -sc != inxi -SC
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Mike402

Post by Mike402 »

Here is the output with capital letters:

$ inxi -SC
System: Host: mike-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-4th Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64
bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.8 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-6200U (-MT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 500 MHz 2: 500 MHz 3: 500 MHz
4: 500 MHz
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Thanks. Try this:

sudo ln -s /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3
and then try your program again.
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike402

Post by Mike402 »

No luck unfortunately. still:

bash: ./lmgrd: No such file or directory

It's weird because I had no trouble running the executable to actually install the ADS software. Only having issues with this third party licensing software.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Was worth a try. It's linked against a command interpreter that doesn't exist on your system. I tried to fake its existence by creating a link to the respective library we do have. Guess it needed the real thing. Or it might also be linked against other libraries as well that don't exist on Ubuntu. See what this puts out:

objdump -x lmgrd | grep NEEDED
(run from the directory that your executable is located)

But since I assume this is software you paid for we really shouldn't have to figure this out for you,
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Since the procedure states
<license file path> specifies one or more full path-names to the license file(s).
<license log file path> is the full path-name to the debug log file.
I'd be inclined to try the following, omitting the file names.

./lmgrd -c /usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/Licensing -l /usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/Licensing
Mike402

Post by Mike402 »

Interesting. I tried the grep command and it yielded the following:
/usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/Licensing/2018.04/linux_x86_64/bin$ objdump -x lmgrd | grep NEEDED
NEEDED libpthread.so.0
NEEDED libm.so.6
NEEDED libgcc_s.so.1
NEEDED libc.so.6
NEEDED libdl.so.2

Unfortunately it's explicitly stated that it runs on SUSE and redhat. I could download centOS if I really wanted to run it, but that's just a pain with my limited HDD space. I'm using the student version, which is free.

I tried giving the directory path, and not the full file extension. Same issue. No such file or directory.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Just going over this thread again to remind myself what I had recommended, I see I had made a mistake with the workaround I gave you. Sorry 'bout that. Try again like this please:

sudo ln -s /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3
and then try to run your file again.

PS: Also to clean up the previous one:

sudo rm /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.3
Mike402

Post by Mike402 »

Holy crap. Thanks so much! It worked!

I was able to run the command and set up my license successfully. I will point show this thread to Keysight so they can show this to future users who run into this problem. You've allowed future ADS users to use this program on their machine! I'm sure they'll appreciate your help as much as I did.

The full command I used: mike@mike-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-4th:/usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/Licensing/2018.04/linux_x86_64/bin$ ./lmgrd -c /usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/Licensing/54ee75a5845f_20180907083004.lic

It appears that no link to a log file is needed. What was weird is when I executed this program then booted ADS, it asked for my license again. I simply used the GUI and linked to it (essentially just re-executing the above command according to technical support), and it worked perfectly.

For anyone who can't find it, ADS is located here: /usr/local/ADS2017_Update1/bin/ads

Best Regards,
Mike
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Good to hear, happy to help. Was surprised it didn't work originally until I saw the mistake i had made with the filename, whoops. ;)

Please take a moment to edit the first post's subject line to indicate the issue has been solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”