Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
m.ardito
Level 1
Level 1

ScangearMP works, but not (anymore) if started from GImp

Post by m.ardito » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:51 am

Hi,

I have a Canon Pixma MG6150 wireless MFP, since many years.
To use it, since Mint 13, I installed canon linux drivers and used the pixma without issues, both for wireless printing and scanning docs.

Since a few months I upgraded my pc and Mint install (currently 18.3), and it still worked perfectly until... today.

- wireless printing still works.
- the issue is about using the wireless scanner:

the gimp integration, from the menu file> create > Scangear MP
used to work, and the scan configuration allowed me to save scanned images to gimp directly.
sometimes this utility prompted to update the scanner list, through a dialog with an "update scanner list" button, which quickly found the MAC address.

today, instead, it always opens the dialog with the "update scanner list" button, but the search seems to take forever, and although you can cancel it, pressing the "cancel" button it becomes unresponsive, and doesn't terminate at all. It must be killed.

Today, after trying many times, also after restarting the pc, I also tried to manually launch the "scangearmp" from the terminal

- at first the dialog had the MAC address set, so I was able to scan a document, and thought the issue was about the Gimp integration
- but then I tried from terminal again, and here also now I have the "scanner search" that never works...

I tried to reinstall the packages that I used to install Scangear MP the first:
scangearmp-common_1.60-1_amd64.deb
scangearmp-mg6100series_1.60-1_amd64.deb

and they were reinstalled without issues, but it didn't improve anything...

Do anyone ever had this issue and knows how could be solved?
Is it possible to manually set the MAC address so that the search is not necessary at all?

Thanks for any hint or suggestion.

Marco

Return to “Software & Applications”