Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Firefox occasionally losing password to this forum only

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Not having any issues that I remember with other forums.

I have been on this forum most of the day, on and off.
I drop the tab it is open to close out, and open a new tab to select one of my favorite sites to visit.

just now, came back, and I had to enter the password again.
Actually LastPass filled it in, but I needed to click Okay.

Vs 62.0

kreemoweet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox occasionally losing password to this forum only

Post by kreemoweet » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:56 pm

In order to stay logged in to these forums (and most other websites), you have to accept, and not discard when leaving or closing the browser, the forum's "cookies".
You also have to check the "stay logged in", or "remember me" checkbox when you log in.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:17 am

kreemoweet wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:56 pm
In order to stay logged in to these forums (and most other websites), you have to accept, and not discard when leaving or closing the browser, the forum's "cookies".
You also have to check the "stay logged in", or "remember me" checkbox when you log in.
Ummmm, been using FF ever since it was invented, all of that covered all ready.

but do appreciate your input, as you don't know me...

I never delete cookies, except by hand, one at a time.... the horrors of that are horrendous to me.

I try to always remember to shutdown FF before I shutdown the PC, but occasionally have forgotten.
not remembering those occasions, it is possible that just shutting down Linux while FF is still open, caused the problem.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:06 am

I understand the forum cookie is public IP address specific. So if you're public IP has changed between one session and the next you'll need to log back in. What can trigger a public IP change? - router reboot, router losing the connection and reconnecting, I'm assuming your ISP is not providing a static public IP. Some ISP's will force a refreshed connection every 30 or 60 days or whatever.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Arrababiski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arrababiski » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:42 am

The same happens to me, and only in LM forum. May be cookies in this forum have a timed expiration (cookies with "expires" or "max-age" parameters) or the forum is set to automatically end session in x days as a security measure.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:14 am

IP Address change?
Hmmmm....

had no idea that should matter. I drift into and out of my VPN.
the VPN causes me problems with my bank, so can't use it there, and a select few other sites.

I will try to remember what happened last time FF was used when next it looses this forum.
This laptop has not been off now since yesterday morning....

but what has been going on, is that my local ISP is a bit of derth, useless actually...
so I have been switching over to my Verizon Wireless MiFi modem sometimes. $$$ though.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 am

smurphos wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:06 am
I understand the forum cookie is public IP address specific. So if you're public IP has changed between one session and the next you'll need to log back in.
I thought so too (and have discussed it before, elsewhere on the Forum) but I regularly use 3 (or even 4) networks over the course of an evening & only occasionally have to log in again.
smurphos wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:06 am
What can trigger a public IP change?
Moving between different WiFi hotspots (on different ISPs) should be one of them. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 4GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Return to “Software & Applications”