cannot download from youtube

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CAPTCOLT

cannot download from youtube

Post by CAPTCOLT »

Using Mint Cinnamon 18.3 ... Have been using GYDL to get videos from Youtube, suddenly stopped working ... Doesn't work in either Firefox or Chromium ... Also tried Youtube-DL and that doesn't work ... This started about one week ago ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: cannot download from youtube

Post by rickNS »

Youtube is constantly changing to prevent people from downloading their content. The downloader programs have to also constantly change to keep up. Therefore they will not ALWAYS work. I gave up on them, and use a solution that always works. Basically record your screen with your favorite screen recorder. You'll never need an update, and if you want to record a video today...you can do it.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I have probably never seen youtube-dl not work in all the years I've used it. You probably just forgot to update it first:

Code: Select all

sudo youtube-dl -U
If you installed via Software Manager, you cannot update it, so create a local install instead:

mkdir -p ~/.local/bin
wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O ~/.local/bin/youtube-dl
chmod u+x ~/.local/bin/youtube-dl
My uGet download manager also has no trouble downloading videos off youtube, I tested right now. If you want to try it, install this from their website instead of the Mint repository, since you're using an old Mint release I would imagine the repository has an old uGet version only.
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi CAPTCOLT,

There are a few great applications and some browser add-ons to download YouTube videos.

YouTube-DL and the related desktop version YouTube-DLG are the most popular. As was already mentioned, the YouTube-DL is updated frequently, so I use a PPA for Linux Mint versions prior to and including Linux Mint 19. I just tested these and GYDL a moment ago and they are working. I have never had any problems using YouTube-DL and YouTube-DLG.

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or "Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install youtube-dl youtube-dlg

Other video downloaders
"4K Video Downloader"

"XDM" Xtreme Download manager - for faster downloads and can do video downloads

"uGet" - for faster downloads and can do video downloads

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
johnlannon

Post by johnlannon »

I use clipgrab Leave it on your desktop for quick access. It is a self contained ap that does not install. You can leave it in a home folder, if you prefer too. When running it reads clipboard so when you copy the address it pops up notification. Click it, then click download.
P.S. some videos cannot be downloaded from YouTube. They block copyrighted videos from downloading now.
Chrisj01

Post by Chrisj01 »

I use the Firefox extension "Video DownloadHelper" and it works a charm, just checked it and it is still working for me.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I use ClipGrab. It's in the Software Manager.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

In also use youtube-dl and until now have never faced any problems when downloading a video on the youtube site.

In terminal:

first navigate to the folder where you want to download that particular video and then execute

youtube-dl -c https://www.youtube.com/xxxxxxx 
where https://www.youtube.com/xxxxxxx must be the exact address of the video
Analogue man in a digital world
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

youtube-dl -c
The -c flag implies continuation of previously interrupted download.
In the latest versions -c it is no longer required, youtube-dl will automatically resume the download
if the output directory is the same.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

all41 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:52 pm youtube-dl -c
The -c flag implies continuation of previously interrupted download.
In the latest versions -c it is no longer required, youtube-dl will automatically resume the download
if the output directory is the same.

That........., I wasn't aware of! Thanks :)
Analogue man in a digital world
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Try the Slimjet browser. Works great for me. No add ons needed.

Return to “Software & Applications”