Linux equivalent of MS Task Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Linux equivalent of MS Task Manager

Post by MurphCID »

I love Task Manager, I really do, on my windows system, I keep it up all the time. On my Linux laptop I fire up HTOP as soon as I boot. Is there something out there that has the same functionality/ease of viewing as Task Manager?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Linux equivalent of MS Task Manager

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

if your running linux mint. it is already installed...it is called "system monitor" if your running another linux distro other than mint and may not be installed already...in that case you can install it using either the software manager by looking for gnome-system-monitor or use the terminal to install it for you by coping and pasting the code provided below...DAMIEN

Install System Monitor

Code: Select all

sudo apt install gnome-system-monitor
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:56 am I love Task Manager, I really do, on my windows system, I keep it up all the time. On my Linux laptop I fire up HTOP as soon as I boot. Is there something out there that has the same functionality/ease of viewing as Task Manager?
As Damien said, it's called System Monitor in your Mint menu. You may prefer xfce4-taskmanager.

But on a related note, I believe you would love conky for monitoring.
snowflake

Post by snowflake »

Hi
MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:56 am I love Task Manager, I really do, on my windows system, I keep it up all the time. On my Linux laptop I fire up HTOP as soon as I boot. Is there something out there that has the same functionality/ease of viewing as Task Manager?
I love Task Manager too, I've tried em all at some point, for monitoring i found that using conky is the best way especially when it comes to cpu usage, & it makes the desktop look awesome,
for looking up details, killing process when I don’t feel like using a Terminal I use Lxtask which is derived from xfce4-taskmanager

so nothing to add really, I think you should use conky & xfce4-taskmanager as gm 10 recommended. just that i can't stress enough how important it is to at-least try to use conky for monitoring, it'l change your life
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

snowflake wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 am just that i can't stress enough how important it is to at-least try to use conky for monitoring, it'l change your life
I am so tempted to comment " ... on the premise that you have no life to start with, of course."
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hmmm...lets see, marriage, children, deaths in the family, retirement, my heart attack and several strokes...yep, those are life changers...a piece of software?...i think not!!!...sounds like a TV commercial advertisement...DAMIEN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if you use linux you have no life, period 🤣😀😂 all the cool kids have iThings . System Monitor aka gnome-system-monitor is what i use if i need to see some process properties for any other queries i use xfce4-taskmanager.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

trytip wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 am if you use linux you have no life, period 🤣😀😂
Fair enough, fair enough, fair enough...
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you wanna get technical with a net system monitor? https://github.com/firehol/netdata
install with:

Code: Select all

bash <(curl -Ss https://my-netdata.io/kickstart-static64.sh)
then run with http://localhost:19999 type the address in any browser
ps: if you block cookies by default. allow cookies for http://localhost:19999

NOTES: netdata.service will run auto startup to stop or disable:
systemctl stop netdata.service <<< stop the netdata service
systemctl disable netdata.service <<< disable the netdata service at startup
systemctl start netdata.service <<< start the netdata service to browse
UNINSTALL netdata was installed with kickstart-static64.sh package
Stop netdata with one of the following:

service netdata stop (non-systemd systems)
systemctl stop netdata (systemd systems)
Disable running netdata at startup, with one of the following (based on your distro):

rc-update del netdata
update-rc.d netdata disable
chkconfig netdata off
systemctl disable netdata
Delete the netdata files:

rm -rf /opt/netdata
groupdel netdata
userdel netdata
rm /etc/logrotate.d/netdata
rm /etc/systemd/system/netdata.service or rm /etc/init.d/netdata, depending on the distro.
Last edited by trytip on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

using localhost address through browser in order to use curl is a security issue as you expose the inner runnings of your system over the web that is not at least https connection etc...DAMIEN
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 am using localhost address through browser in order to use curl is a security issue as you expose the inner runnings of your system over the web that is not at least https connection etc..
That makes no sense I'm afraid. The only thing your browser communicates with is with the HTTP server running on your local machine only as part of that "netdata" program.

Now, of course, you may decide to not trust "netdata" or its installer itself (i.e., I aborted checking when I saw something that I didn't personally look at request my password so as to be installed) but that's not anything to do with browsers or localhosts; "netdata" could display results itself rather than through a browser and it would be equally secure or insecure.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

report from my browser when attempting is as follows...all was blocked due to my security settings...DAMIEN

http://localhost:19999
Microphone
Notifications
JavaScript
Flash
Images
Pop-ups and redirects
Ads
Block if site tends to show intrusive ads

Background sync
Sound
Automatic downloads
MIDI devices
USB devices
Unsandboxed plugin access
Clipboard
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

As said, feel free to not trust "netdata" itself, but once installed it would be a heck of a lot easier for it to be bad directly than trick your browser into badness. The "http://localhost:19999" part is not involved in any security issue here.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i do have a propensity to always err on the side of caution at all times...lol...DAMIEN
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Not so sure about that. It appears you handed over your password and installed a what is to you presumedly unknown binary blob. If I were you, I'd panic at this point... :lol:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rene wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am Not so sure about that. It appears you handed over your password and installed a what is to you presumedly unknown binary blob. If I were you, I'd panic at this point... :lol:
This. As soon as you give root privileges to any process you sign control over your system away. The time to worry was before doing that. Afterwards it's time to wipe the virtual machine that you hopefully did this in (right?!) and start fresh. :P
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

By the way, so as to avoid giving you or anyone else reading this thread an undeserved bad idea about "netdata" specifically: looks perfectly legit; https://github.com/firehol/netdata. That is, you needn't be worried a in practical sense -- even though the theoretical sense of installing random applications from the internet might be the epitaph of worry...
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i added UNINSTALL and edit the comment if anyone is creepy and scared and think my post will infect your internets. i use my systemd manager to disable service and can run it only when i want
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...seems to me we have 2 birds down with one shot here...

1) we found the Linux equivalent of...taskmgr.exe (as it was requested in the first place)...and, furthermore,
2) we've also quite likely have identified / got a positive match of what is the Linux equivalent of... naked_pics.exe...

(bang!) :wink:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks all. I just can’t seem to get conky running right, it is me not Conky. I might try the xfce task manager. I am running mint 19 right now.

Return to “Software & Applications”