Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nsivin
Level 3
Level 3

Where is nano?

Post by nsivin »

I have just upgraded to Mint 19 Mate. I didn't know what the Text Editor was, so I deleted that icon that I had installed on the desktop. I later found that it was nano, but I can't find it when I need it. It is not listed among the applications, searching for "nano" and "text editor" doesn't find anything, but the Software Center tells me it is installed. I need an editor for an .xml file. If for some reason nano isn't the one for the job, which one do you recommend?

My setup:
End PC Noise custom AMD Fusion Media PC
AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz quad-core CPU
4GB Kingston PC3 RAM
2 Intel 520 series 120GB SATA III SSD
Dell 24” pivot monitor, normally used in portrait mode
Northgate Omnikey Ultra keyboard
Linux Mint 19 Mate
LibreOffice 6.0.3.2
------------------
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@sas.upenn.edu
www.ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin
rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Where is nano?

Post by rickNS »

The standard text editor of mate is xed you can find that in the menu as Text Editor, under accessories. PS and it "should" be showing up when you search for it in the menu ?
nano is called from a terminal.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

nsivin wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 pm
I have just upgraded to Mint 19 Mate. I didn't know what the Text Editor was, so I deleted that icon that I had installed on the desktop. I later found that it was nano, but I can't find it when I need it. It is not listed among the applications, searching for "nano" and "text editor" doesn't find anything, but the Software Center tells me it is installed. I need an editor for an .xml file. If for some reason nano isn't the one for the job, which one do you recommend?

My setup:
End PC Noise custom AMD Fusion Media PC
AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz quad-core CPU
4GB Kingston PC3 RAM
2 Intel 520 series 120GB SATA III SSD
Dell 24” pivot monitor, normally used in portrait mode
Northgate Omnikey Ultra keyboard
Linux Mint 19 Mate
LibreOffice 6.0.3.2
If you want an icon for nano right-click on the desktop and choose to Create Launcher, choose the Open in Terminal option,
and type in the command line field /bin/nano
Linux Crux=Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam+libera ab tyrannis
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

I'm happy with gedit - it opens almost everything, including xml files. And it's a lot better than nano.
And nano is a CLI editor, so you can't open it as a regular GUI program. If you wanna open nano, you just have to open terminal and type nano. This will change the appearance of the terminal - there you will see what nano looks like.
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Firefox 65+ x64, 5.0.13-arch1-1-ARCH Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”