[SOLVED] Seahorse and its uselessness

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Seahorse and its uselessness

Post by Valsodar »

I noticed 18.3 has a program called Seahorse and it seems to be some kind of a "password and keys" manager. I wonder - what will happen if I uninstall it? I've been using 18.3 for 9 months already and for that time I didn't have to use Seahorse at all. I tend to uninstall software I don't need. If the root password is stored elsewhere, that would be great cuz I'll be able to get rid of a useless program.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
gm10

Re: Seahorse and its uselessness

Post by gm10 »

Code: Select all

$ apt show seahorse
[...]
Description: GNOME front end for GnuPG
 Seahorse is a front end for GnuPG - the GNU Privacy Guard program -
 that integrates to the GNOME desktop. It is a tool for secure
 communications and data storage.  Data encryption and digital signature
 creation can easily be performed through a GUI and Key Management
 operations can easily be carried out through an intuitive interface.
It's not installed by default, so if you didn't install it manually it probably came as some software's dependency. At a command line run

apt purge seahorse
and if it wants to remove any additional packages it will ask you for confirmation first. Make sure it's nothing you are using.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Seahorse and its uselessness

Post by Valsodar »

apt purge seahorse displayed a bunch of packages about which the system said they're no longer necessary or used, so I used sudo apt autoremove seahorse which cleaned nearly 200 MB of space (the purge command would only remove the program itself but not its dependencies). I performed a system reboot, just to make sure nothing was broken and it booted up fine without errors.

Thanks, gm10. :)
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
gm10

Re: [SOLVED] Seahorse and its uselessness

Post by gm10 »

You can also combine the both:

apt autoremove --purge
Since I'm lazy, my modified apt (but not yours) even has apt purgeall, I use that a lot. You think that's something I should suggest for inclusion in the general tool? ;)
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

It seems you're more advanced than me, so forgive me for the stupid question, but what's the point in combining autoremove with purge? Autoremove removes everything - both the program and its dependencies.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Valsodar wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am It seems you're more advanced than me, so forgive me for the stupid question, but what's the point in combining autoremove with purge? Autoremove removes everything - both the program and its dependencies.
(auto)remove does not remove configuration files (if any). purge, on the other hand, does. System-wide configuration files that is, never your user-specific configuration.

That's why you preferably always use purge instead of remove to get rid of a package you are sure you won't need anymore. remove is what you use when you think you may want to re-install the package at a later time and thus want it to leave its configuration files behind.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

I understand now. Thanks again. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”