Google Earth

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cardineau

Google Earth

Post by cardineau »

78LMT-USB3-r2 Gigabite motherboard, Radeon 3000 driver built in, 4 gigs memory, AMD athlon2, Linux Mint 19 Mate. Everything working well except two things. Google Earth works well in looking at my home town in rural Louisiana, or surveying South American jungles, but if I try to zoom in on the City of New Orleans, it crashes at about 2000 ft. Evey time. go to rural town ..no problem. other problem is with backup tool. Can't backup packages list, any help would be appreciated. By the way, it's my birthday today, I'm 83 and doing passably well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Google Earth

Post by kyphi »

I wish you a very happy day, cardineau, on your birthday and every day thereafter :D

The failure of the zoom feature in Google Earth may well be related to your graphics chip that simply cannot process the details of a city such as New Orleans. It zooms just fine on my equipment using Google Earth Pro version 7.3.2 with an nvidia graphics accelerator.

The best policy for getting assistance with any problems you experience is to post each issue separately.

Cheers.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Happy Birthday :!:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
cardineau

Post by cardineau »

Thanks for the good wishes wally and kyphi. I had sorta figured that the graphics card might be the problem, so I ordered a Nvidia card from Newegg two days ago. I'll remember to separate my issues in the future. Thanks to you both. Kyphi, many moons ago, when I was a young man, I introduced bourbon whisky to a publican in Roma, Queensland. The School of Arts Pub ...I wonder if it's still there?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Although I have never been there, the School of Arts Hotel still stands: https://publocation.com.au/pubs/qld/rom ... arts-hotel
Roma, Queensland is about 880 km north from where I live (that is 545 miles in Imperial), a ten hour drive on country roads.
Looks like a cool oasis to me.
You are a few years older than I am but not many. Enjoy your special day, cardineau :D

Strangely, there was an update to Google Earth Pro today.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
cardineau

Post by cardineau »

Update on Google Earth. I bought a MSI geforce 210 graphics card and installed it. Changed driver from nouveau to nvidia 340.106. rebooted etc and google earth says it doesn't recognize my graphics card. Changed back to nouveau...goole earth now doesn't recognize nouveau either. Uninstalled and re-installed GE and still not recognizing graphic card. Took out graphic card and went back to original scene and still not working. decided to try another linux distro. Installed puppy linux on a USB drive. Loaded Google earth and it works like a charm. So from now forward, when I want Google earth, I'll reboot into Puppy Linux and be happy. Thanks for the support guys. I think Google earth is purposely designed to piss off people who use Debian based Linux.

Return to “Software & Applications”