I can't launch Gparted.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
King_Antonius

I can't launch Gparted.

Post by King_Antonius »

I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled Gparted but for some reason I can't get it to run. If I try to launch it I get
Unit -.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: I can't launch Gparted.

Post by xenopeek »

Googling that error finds other users with the same issue. They have pinned it down to either being because of issue around Wayland compatibility (but Linux Mint doesn't use Wayland yet, it uses X), issues with broken libraries or users having installed GParted from outside the repository.

Can you confirm from where you installed Gparted? What does this command say:
apt policy gparted

If it is related to library problems they suggest to reinstall them with this command:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libcairomm-1.0-1v5 libglibmm-2.4-1v5 libsigc++-2.0-0v5
Sounds farfetched but it won't hurt to try. Further it suggest to check that each of the libraries is not broken, with the ldd command. See here: https://askubuntu.com/a/1037119
gm10

Re: I can't launch Gparted.

Post by gm10 »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 am Googling that error finds other users with the same issue.
I get that message, too. I'm fairly certain anyone with an up-to-date Mint 19 gets it. Looking at the source, it's caused by a faulty script here: https://github.com/GNOME/gparted/blob/m ... ed.in#L146
The problem is that the unit names don't get properly escaped/quoted in the argument. Someone feel free to bug report that to GNOME.

It's not the cause ofhis problem of gparted not starting though. I think we need more information how he's starting it. Many people like to play around with root shells and then wonder why GUI programs don't work, for example.

Return to “Software & Applications”