Is it safe to update wine-stable, I never had to do it, what about the already installed windows programs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fruitkiller

Is it safe to update wine-stable, I never had to do it, what about the already installed windows programs

Post by fruitkiller »

So I got this update for wine-stable, and unfortunately the Linux world has nothing comparable to EAC and a few other tools I need, mostly in the audio dept. update package is 3.03~trusty, 3.02~trusty is the one I have now (yeah I'm running with Mint 17.3 until I have no choice but to upgrade, video cards issues I don't feel like addressing here.

Is it safe to update wine, guaranteed it won't screw up my perfectly setup for EAC....maybe it will allow me to make CUETools work..it's supposed to work easily in wine, I have .cue and .flac files that are whole audio tracks and the cue file to extract them. In the past I used Medieval Cue Splitter but I was told pretty convincingly that it didn't do the job as well as it should unlike cuetools. I have CrossOver installed but it's version 13.1, getting old.

I looked around and didn't find anything particularly helpful, so I come to you guys. Maybe it should be in Virtualization...not sure, if it is, then mods can move it there.

Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is it safe to update wine-stable, I never had to do it, what about the already installed windows programs

Post by kc1di »

It's hard to tell if the newer version will work with your particular programs. But if all is working now I would not upgrade.
One tool I use is to install and use playonlinux

Code: Select all

sudo apt install playonlinux
it allows you to install many versions of wine and test your programs on them without affecting anything else. It installs all it's programs in virtual files. and they can easily be deleted and reinstalled if it does not work on a certain version of wine. good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
fruitkiller

Re: Is it safe to update wine-stable, I never had to do it, what about the already installed windows programs

Post by fruitkiller »

Much appreciated.I always figured that playforlinux was something even better than CrossOver to play windows games on Linux. I'll look it up, I might have questions as I try that thing. So it's like a firejail for wine?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Not really like Firejail. More like a front end, that makes Wine easier to handle.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Yeah...anyway...Firejail has regressed in my opinion fromi it's earlier incarnations. Locking up the system so you have to either allow an application to run in the settings or have almost all applications not work at all, even something simple as Audacious will not open if not configured to be whitelisted....it's a pain and also pretty unstable.

I wish I had the understanding of Linux to use LUKS or that other one the NSA has modified...SELinux. I'm falling down to running almost everything in a windows 7 vbox machine other than iptables and other essentials or programs that require video and audio editing amongst others. I've tried to understand LUKS but this is reaching the limits of my computer knowledge, which is all a hobby, didn't go to college in the field and even then not sure it would help, maybe, depending on the universities and what computers field study they offer. Out of 2 colleges, I picked the one at walking distance from my mom's house as to not get over-debted plus when she bought the house it was with thinking that me and my brother were going to that college at least to start, do one year of mandatory classes and classes needed to be accepted in certain fields, you got that option in that province of mine, only here is it set that way.

Okay, went astray here but I really wish I could insert grsecurity in mint, failing that learn those native encryption methods that are out of my reach and it's frustratin!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

fruitkiller wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 pmI wish I had the understanding of Linux to use LUKS or that other one the NSA has modified...SELinux.
Since it has been incorporated into Ubuntu since version 8.04 (along with many other distros at the kernel level I think?), I suppose you already are using SELinux.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

You definitely are if you are using a cell phone that runs the Android operating system, and the version is 4.3 or higher.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI fruitkiller,

What makes you think "the Linux world has nothing comparable to EAC and a few other tools I need"? What other tools are you referring to?

You can rip CD's into lossless formats using various applications like "K3b", Freac (requires Java), SoundKonverter, etc...

fre:ac - free audio converter
https://www.freac.org/

The Linux Wine system is great and innovative for running some MS Windows related software, but I try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Gamers are the only ones I know of that may really want or need to use "Wine" if they cannot find the games they want on "Steam" or another Linux Gaming option.

FYI: Some programs I need CueTools, Filebot, Plex, makemkv <Solved> - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=233794

Hope this helps ...
freac1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

The places where people make people discover music only accept EAC ripping. XLD is getting close to that though. I know, it's frustrating, I liked RubyRipper, but then they only accept .log files made by EAC :( Oh well, EAC is still superior, it's so good it's amazing it remains free.

CUETools is great too, unfortunately, cuetools for linux, as good as it can be, doesn't split the tracks the way those places want them to be, hence why Medieval CUE Splitter isn't accepted either at those places.

As for SELinux....I know it comes with Mint, Ubuntu etc. but you have to actually do something with it, just having it there isn't enough, it's really intense terminal stuff like LUKS if I remember well.

My cellphone is from 2010, not a smartphone, I will never have one and the recent facebook hack that can be blamed, maybe on Facebook Messenger (I use Pidgin and purple-facebook for those of my friends or family that can't be bothered to use Pidgin or Skype, even when I tell them their old MSN Messenger accounts work on Skype. Skype works okay in Linux, it's been more of an annoyance at times since Microsoft bought it and removed many features from Skype. I don't know why the inventors of Skype would sell out something they worked their whole adult life on, maybe even earlier, I remember using Skype over my Cable connection in 2000 or 2001, allowed you to make calls anywhere for free! Wow! All you needed was a mic and speakers. Even remember when they called me for a survey when nobody knew of them at all. I guess the exorbitant amount of money they sold it to MS for....by that time they likely were a chartered corporation devoid of humanity.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "fruitkiller",
fruitkiller wrote:The places where people make people discover music only accept EAC ripping. XLD is getting close to that though. I know, it's frustrating, I liked RubyRipper, but then they only accept .log files made by EAC :( Oh well, EAC is still superior, it's so good it's amazing it remains free.
I do not understand this, specifically what places are those? The applications I mentioned before and others can easily rip CD's or convert audio files into lossless audio quality files.

Lossless Audio Checker
http://losslessaudiochecker.com/

Encode/HighQualityAudio – FFmpeg
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/HighQualityAudio

A quick guide to using FFmpeg to convert media files | Opensource.com
https://opensource.com/article/17/6/ffm ... le-formats

fruitkiller wrote:CUETools is great too, unfortunately, cuetools for linux, as good as it can be, doesn't split the tracks the way those places want them to be, hence why Medieval CUE Splitter isn't accepted either at those places.
In the FYI link I provided are various programs for splitting whole albums, "Flacon", "gCue2Tracks ", "Mp3Splt-gtk", etc...

fruitkiller wrote:My cellphone is from 2010, not a smartphone, I will never have one and the recent facebook hack that can be blamed, maybe on Facebook Messenger (I use Pidgin and purple-facebook for those of my friends or family that can't be bothered to use Pidgin or Skype, even when I tell them their old MSN Messenger accounts work on Skype. Skype works okay in Linux, it's been more of an annoyance at times since Microsoft bought it and removed many features from Skype. I don't know why the inventors of Skype would sell out something they worked their whole adult life on, maybe even earlier, I remember using Skype over my Cable connection in 2000 or 2001, allowed you to make calls anywhere for free! Wow! All you needed was a mic and speakers. Even remember when they called me for a survey when nobody knew of them at all. I guess the exorbitant amount of money they sold it to MS for....by that time they likely were a chartered corporation devoid of humanity.
Although I have Facebook and Skype accounts and their related applications installed, I never use them except for helping people in this forum because they are not secure, nor do I have people I communicate with frequently using them. I prefer to use secure multimedia messengers like "Wire", "Ring", "qTox (Qtox)", Jitsi, Linphone, etc... I always have qTox running.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

EAC logs are the only ones accepted, with checksums, to count as perfect rips. I hear XLD is which is a linux application is getting close to approval. It's all I can say, you don't talk about private trackers :)

For my internet-only friends and contacts, I use XMPP on Pidgin or Linphone. But i'm the only one inclined in real life to even use Linux in my family and friends. I got my fiancee to install pidgin and pidgin-otr for facebook, which leaves "encrypted chat" if one is to enter facebook through the website and look at the conversations between me and her. Nobody else bothers. Hell I made them one hell of an entertainment system on my VPS where they don't have to worry about being behind because they don't have american Netflix and have them profit from my remote torrenting and only 2 friends went there maybe 5 times in a year. I thought i was lazy..
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

phd21 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:23 pm
fruitkiller wrote:The places where people make people discover music only accept EAC ripping. XLD is getting close to that though. I know, it's frustrating, I liked RubyRipper, but then they only accept .log files made by EAC :( Oh well, EAC is still superior, it's so good it's amazing it remains free.
I do not understand this, specifically what places are those? The applications I mentioned before and others can easily rip CD's or convert audio files into lossless audio quality files.
He wants to get "street cred" with the music pirate kids so he can download more stuff instead of paying for it like (most) everyone else, lol.

Which is not exactly the same thing as FOSS :roll: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

It has been reported that you are discussing ripping music. That is not allowed on the Mint forums. Locking this thread.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Software & Applications”