Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tomdkat
Level 1
Level 1

Question about auto-mounting commercial DVDs

Post by tomdkat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:55 am

Hi! I have a question about auto-mounting commercial DVDs on Linux Mint 18.3 (64-bit). I'm running Mint on a Lenovo laptop with 8GB RAM, an Intel i5 processor, and an internal DVD drive. First, I *am* able to play commercial DVDs on the system, so that's not the issue.

If I put a commercial DVD, say "Swordfish", in the internal DVD drive, Mint detects the drive, prompts me for the action to take and if I open it with VLC, the DVD menu appears as desired.

If I attach an external USB LG slim portable DVD writer (model SP80NB80), put in Swordfish and close the drawer, Mint doesn't prompt me for any action to take.

If I run VirtualBox and run Windows, somehow the DVD is mounted and VLC in Windows can play it *and* when I exit VirtualBox, VLC on Mint can now play the DVD.

So, my question is: why doesn't the commercial DVD auto-mount after I put it in the external USB DVD writer the same way it auto-mounts when I put it in the internal DVD drive? I think the internal DVD drive is also a DVD writer.

As a test, I put a data DVD in the external USB DVD drive and Nemo opened and showed the contents of the disc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and assistance you can provide!

Peace...

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Question about auto-mounting commercial DVDs

Post by rene » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:07 am

Unsure if it works, but please see viewtopic.php?f=48&t=275889&p=1519545#p1519545

[EDIT] I hadn't actually gotten to the part where a data DVD does automount before replying; makes the above likely not the issue. Still, no harm in trying.

gm10
Level 11
Level 11

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:39 am

tomdkat wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:55 am
If I run VirtualBox and run Windows, somehow the DVD is mounted and VLC in Windows can play it *and* when I exit VirtualBox, VLC on Mint can now play the DVD.

So, my question is: why doesn't the commercial DVD auto-mount after I put it in the external USB DVD writer the same way it auto-mounts when I put it in the internal DVD drive?
Might be a region thing. But what I'm wondering from that description, what happens if you launch vlc manually and point it at the external drive? Enable logging and/or run in from a terminal window to get the full output.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 am

What happens if you insert the movie DVD into your external DVD drive and then connect it to your computer? Does it automount then?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CtrlAltDel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:55 am

tomdkat wrote:
If I attach an external USB LG slim portable DVD writer (model SP80NB80), put in Swordfish and close the drawer, Mint doesn't prompt me for any action to take.

Peace...
System Settings/Preferred Applications/Removable Media

and you can go down to Other Media at the bottom of the box if you need.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19 Cinnamon 64bit

tomdkat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomdkat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:26 pm

rene wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:07 am
Unsure if it works, but please see viewtopic.php?f=48&t=275889&p=1519545#p1519545

[EDIT] I hadn't actually gotten to the part where a data DVD does automount before replying; makes the above likely not the issue. Still, no harm in trying.
Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Peace...

tomdkat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomdkat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:39 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:39 am
tomdkat wrote:

So, my question is: why doesn't the commercial DVD auto-mount after I put it in the external USB DVD writer the same way it auto-mounts when I put it in the internal DVD drive?
Might be a region thing. But what I'm wondering from that description, what happens if you launch vlc manually and point it at the external drive? Enable logging and/or run in from a terminal window to get the full output.
Thanks for the reply. What you describe is exactly what I was doing:
  • Open VLC
  • Click "Open Disc"
  • Navigate to /dev/sr1 (my external USB DVD drive)
  • Click "Play"
Then VLC would display messages about not being able to open the /dev/sr1 device.

However, once I got /dev/sr1 mounted in the filesystem, the DVD played perfectly. It's a region 1 commercial DVD that plays without issue in VLC.

Thanks!

Peace...

tomdkat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomdkat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:40 pm

MtnDewManiac wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 am
What happens if you insert the movie DVD into your external DVD drive and then connect it to your computer? Does it automount then?

Regards,
MDM
Thanks for the reply! Good question! When I get my drive back, I'll try that and see what happens.

Peace...

tomdkat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomdkat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:43 pm

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:55 am
tomdkat wrote:

Peace...
System Settings/Preferred Applications/Removable Media

and you can go down to Other Media at the bottom of the box if you need.
Thanks for the reply! I looked in the "Removable Media" settings and found the setting for "video DVDs" is set to "Ask what to do". Since my test DVD is a commercial DVD-Video disc, I think the current "Removable Media" setting is correct. It works when I use the internal DVD drive but not when I insert the DVD in the external drive, *after* the drive has already been connected to the computer.

Thanks!

Peace...

gm10
Level 11
Level 11

Post by gm10 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:02 pm

tomdkat wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:39 pm
Then VLC would display messages about not being able to open the /dev/sr1 device.

However, once I got /dev/sr1 mounted in the filesystem, the DVD played perfectly. It's a region 1 commercial DVD that plays without issue in VLC.
I see two likely possibilities:
1. You've got non-standard mount options for that DVD drive configured, check via the Disks tool from the menu, compare to your internal drive, usually it should be all on session-defaults
2. it's an issue with your USB port, try plugging the drive into another port, in particular one connected to another root hub (e.g. if it's in an USB3 port plug it into USB2 or vice versa, but try another port even if you've only got a single type)

Return to “Software & Applications”