Can't get youtube-dl to work

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jacatone

Can't get youtube-dl to work

Post by jacatone »

I'm using LM 17.03. Installed youtube-dl but get the error messages listed below. Anyone have a solution?

jacatone@Latitude-D630 ~ $ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACKlKLy4hLw
[youtube] Setting language
WARNING: unable to set language: <urlopen error [Errno 8] _ssl.c:510: EOF occurred in violation of protocol>
[youtube] ACKlKLy4hLw: Downloading webpage
ERROR: Unable to download webpage: <urlopen error [Errno 8] _ssl.c:510: EOF occurred in violation of protocol>
jacatone@Latitude-D630 ~ $ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moZ4qoFIeUE
WARNING: unable to set language: <urlopen error [Errno 8] _ssl.c:510: EOF occurred in violation of protocol>
[youtube] moZ4qoFIeUE: Downloading webpage
ERROR: Unable to download webpage: <urlopen error [Errno 8] _ssl.c:510: EOF occurred in violation of protocol>
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Can't get youtube-dl to work

Post by richyrich »

Have you updated youtube-dl recently ? YT is famous for making small changes so people cannot download from them.

Use this Terminal command: sudo youtube-dl -U
gm10

Post by gm10 »

If you installed from the repository of your ancient release then you probably won't be able to update it, so create a local install:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.local/bin
wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O ~/.local/bin/youtube-dl
chmod u+x ~/.local/bin/youtube-dl
and try your download again (I do hope LM17 has ~/.local/bin in the path, I wouldn't know)
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi jacatone,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Why are you using Linux Mint 17.3 versus 18.3 or even the newer 19? And, which Linux Mint edition are you using Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE, 32-bit or 64-bit?

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

The link below covers this same topic. I just tried youtube-dl using your link and it worked fine.

cannot download from youtube - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=277781

FYI:
Transfering Files to Android Device. - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=275128&hilit=android

Easiest way to share files between Android phone and Linux Mint XFCE over wifi? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=274479&hilit=android

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

phd21 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:01 pmWhy are you using Linux Mint 17.3 versus 18.3 or even the newer 19?
Why not? It is, after all, still supported at this time. And, from your .SIG, it appears to be one of the versions of Mint that YOU use :lol: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:34 am
phd21 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:01 pmWhy are you using Linux Mint 17.3 versus 18.3 or even the newer 19?
Why not? It is, after all, still supported at this time. And, from your .SIG, it appears to be one of the versions of Mint that YOU use :lol: .

Regards,
MDM
+1
Perhaps this op has an aversion to systemd--many do.
I still keep my original Rosa partition for comparison purposes--
youtube-dl works perfectly there as well
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

jacatone wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:43 pmjacatone@Latitude-D630 ~ $ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACKlKLy4hLw
What richyrich said, but make sure you're using the new one:

$ youtube-dl --version
youtube-dl gives me bogus complaints about language*, so your "error" might not mean anything.
*WARNING: Assuming --restrict-filenames since file system encoding cannot encode all characters. Set the LC_ALL environment variable to fix this.
LC_ALL is set to "C".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi all41, MtnDewManiac, etc...

As "jacatone" appears to be a new user, it seems unusual to me to choose an older Linux Mint 17.x to install.

Yes, I still have Linux Mint KDE 17.3 and 18.3 installed, but I use 18.3 daily now because a lot of software I use has been updated to require using the newer version of Linux Mint based on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial or newer.

I personally thought Linux Mint 17.3 was the best and most stable operating systems I have ever used and everything worked perfectly, but its long-term support (LTS) ends in 2019 whereas Linux Mint 18.x has LTS until 2021.

FYI: The webupd8 PPA in my links works for Youtube-dl and Youtube-dlg for Linux Mint 17.x, 18.x, and 19.x

It took almost a year before Linux Mint KDE 18.x and the new Plasma 5 became stable like it is now, mostly because of KDE and Plasma issues not Linux Mint developers. And although I really like the Linux Mint 19.x versions based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic, they dropped the KDE desktop, and there are some issues still being "ironed out" and some software has not been updated for this newer version, although most software not available in the mint repos (Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)) can still be installed using the "Xenial" (Linux Mint 18) packages, and some support packages for some software has been dropped completely from this newer Ubuntu version (rare). Unfortunately, these are typical issues when major new release versions come out in any operating system.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:24 pm If you installed from the repository of your ancient release then you probably won't be able to update it, so create a local install
Just to confirm that the repo versions in Mint <= 18.2 won't update to the latest, which explains the issues lots of people are apparently having.

Candidate packages for LM17.3 (Cinnamon) & 18.2 (KDE) respectively:

[brian@SERVER ~] $ apt policy youtube-dl
youtube-dl:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2014.02.17-1
  Version table:
     2014.02.17-1 0
        500 http://ubuntu.mirrors.uk2.net/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages

brian@BG-Aspire-ES1-111M ~ $ apt policy youtube-dl
youtube-dl:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2016.02.22-1
  Version table:
     2016.02.22-1 500
        500 http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/ubuntu xenial/universe i386 Packages
so after installing on both systems, tried updating:

[brian@SERVER ~] $ youtube-dl --version
[brian@SERVER ~] $ sudo youtube-dl -U
It looks like you installed youtube-dl with a package manager, pip, setup.py or
a tarball. Please use that to update.

brian@BG-Aspire-ES1-111M ~ $ youtube-dl --version
brian@BG-Aspire-ES1-111M ~ $ sudo youtube-dl -U
It looks like you installed youtube-dl with a package manager, pip, setup.py or
a tarball. Please use that to update.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

The WebUpd8 PPA contains version 1:2018.04.03-1~webupd8~trusty0 of youtube-dl for distros based on Ubuntu 14.04.

That's a popular PPA, and I don't know of any problems with using it.

https://launchpad.net/%7Enilarimogard/+ ... 5&start=75

https://gist.github.com/techiediaries/4 ... 4344581eb0

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”