timeshift with recovery boot

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Antbat

timeshift with recovery boot

Post by Antbat »

Hello and thank you,

Just an aside, I have booted Tara 3 times today, the 20th, and tried timeshift each time, but there are no logs in /var/logs for this date. Why might that be?

My problem is trying to recover a timeshift snapshot from recovery mode boot in Tara. I get a lot of read-only errors when I try this. I don't understand the errors because I had immediately prior to the timeshift command created a directory in the root folder to test the write ability of the volume. If I'm root and I can create a folder, shouldn't I be able to create it anywhere in the system? Anyway, IMG_237a is what I first get when I type "timeshift --restore --snapshot '2018-09-18_11000-01 --target /dev/sda2'. The next image, IMG_233a, shows what after hitting Enter. Again the same type of errors.

I'm using Paragon's Linux File System for Windows to check the file system and it looks OK to me.
Probably irrelevant but when I am in root recovery and I type mount to show the volumes, I get many cgroup lines. Do you know why?
Here is fstab from Windows

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sdc2 during installation
# swap was on /dev/sdc3 during installation
UUID=854aeb0f-69c4-47ff-afbf-6aaaa56ae354 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/72A4CBA4A4CB68E5 /mnt/72A4CBA4A4CB68E5 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,x-gvfs-name=8TB,x-gvfs-icon=8-TB,x-gvfs-symbolic-icon=8tb 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/0C204DDD204DCE80 /mnt/0C204DDD204DCE80 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,noatime 0 0
UUID=20e86fe9-bca1-4cf8-b70d-f90c7b9465ef / ext4 noatime,remount-ro,noauto 0 1
The /var/log listing is attachment 2018-09-20 14_37_57-D__a.jpg.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: timeshift with recovery boot

Post by gm10 »

The safe and easy way to restore a timeshift snapshot is to boot into a live USB and do it from there.

If you prefer to go via a recovery boot then your file system is read-only until you remount it as rw: mount -o rw,remount /. I don't know how well timeshift handles restoring to an active file system, I never tried it. Try not to do anything else while it runs.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:17 pm I don't know how well timeshift handles restoring to an active file system, I never tried it. Try not to do anything else while it runs.
I always Restore a Timeshift backup while in the Active session.
Have never done it any other way.

Once the Recovery process starts, Timeshift kills the current session and goes into Terminal Mode, and prints a message to not touch the PC period.

Leave it alone, it will reboot after the Recovery Process is finished.
Works like a champ.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gm10

Post by gm10 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:42 am
gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:17 pm I don't know how well timeshift handles restoring to an active file system, I never tried it. Try not to do anything else while it runs.
Once the Recovery process starts, Timeshift kills the current session and goes into Terminal Mode, and prints a message to not touch the PC period.
Fair enough, so it tries to account for that. Thx for the info.

Return to “Software & Applications”