Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
erich
Level 1
Level 1

Canonical network logjam

Post by erich » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:30 pm

I am one of the dwindling few who, at times, must still struggle with low-speed network connections.

Since I did a systems update a couple of months ago, I have discovered that Canonical is surreptitiously taking over my network sessions at least a couple of times a week, pouring anywhere from 10 to 30 megabytes of ?something? into my system and sucking out a substantial chunk as well. I have no idea what it's doing. With a broadband connection this would mostly go unnoticed, but on a dial-up link it can bring my sessions to a screeching halt for a couple hours -- if I let it barrel on for that long. This appears to be a Mint problem because none of the other varieties of Ubuntu that I use have this problem.

The traffic is all coming from Canonical; I've been monitoring it. I've disabled every update option I can find. The stampede is oblivious. The firewall is, of course, no help with the download channel -- damage done.

Is there anyway to curtail or at least discourage this behavior? This is making Mint unusable for network activity without broadband. And anyway, just what is it doing without my permission?

Eric Holm

Linux OS: Mint v.17.2, Cinnamon 32-bit v.2.6.13
Kernel: v.3.16.0-38-generic

gm10
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canonical network logjam

Post by gm10 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:49 am

You gave us precious little detail considering you said you monitored this, are we to guess what you already know? Come on...

But at that size and source I'll risk an educated guess indeed and say that you are talking about updates to the package sources, i.e. it's downloading a list of available updates.

You would have to disable Mint's Update Manager and the apt-daily.service (or whatever passes for it on Mint 17).

Disclaimer: Not getting updates means not getting bugs fixed, but Mint 17 is so old I don't image you're still getting much in the way of updates, anyway.

erich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by erich » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:47 pm

I've been watching and recording the traffic with Wireshark and Etherape; I have a long list of Canonical sites from these logs.

I do manual system updates whenever I can access a high-speed connection, about every month or two. So I've assumed I'm fairly current and, no, the downloads are not just dribbles. I tend to stick to LTS versions, but if, as you say, 17 is "really old", I've not been plied with numerous upgrade notifications.

What puzzles me is why I should be seeing this behavior just now after using Mint for several years.

However, your reply did suggest some avenues for tweaking settings in the Manager. Part of the problem is that the included help is out-of-date, incomplete and perfunctory (i.e. up to standard) especially in reference to the preference options. So I will re-diddle these a while.

gm10
Level 10
Level 10

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:24 pm

erich wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:47 pm
What puzzles me is why I should be seeing this behavior just now after using Mint for several years.
As I said, I was just taking a guess about what is happening, you just didn't give enough information. If you are talking about a new behaviour then my guess was possibly wrong, the behaviour I was describing would have been the same from the start.

Return to “Software & Applications”