motion CCTV

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
raywoods

motion CCTV

Post by raywoods »

I've been using motion for my CCTV at home for many years now, without any problems. Earlier this week, after coming home from a week away, I found the system had stopped working. It looks like we've been "upgraded" to a new version. I've gone to the MAN pages and found a new list of commands/attributes to use but, for me the program no longer works. Using Cheese I can see the webcams are okay but motion appears not to find them, except for a blued out reflection of me in the widow!

I'm using an HP Webcam HD 2300 into a USB and registering on /dev/video0

Is anyone else having this problem, or any ideas what is amiss?

If the worst comes to the worse, is there a way to go back to an earlier version?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: motion CCTV

Post by Flemur »

raywoods wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:12 pmIf the worst comes to the worse, is there a way to go back to an earlier version?
There are various versions here, with .deb files, which is nice:
https://github.com/Motion-Project/motion/releases

OR -
You could try
gksudo synaptic -> find "motion" ; menu -> package -> force version

Edit - you also might try deleting (or better, renaming) your config files for 'motion' (probably under your $HOME), so the new version has a fresh start.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
raywoods

Post by raywoods »

Thanks Flemur. I'll persevere a bit longer and if all else fails it's nice you can just roll back in time. :)

I'll let you know how I get on.
raywoods

Post by raywoods »

Well I've been playing about with motion and now have the webcam reacting to movement. Unfortunately, the output JPG files are black/blank. I'm using Mint 19, 64 bit and motion 4.1.1-1 with a simple (old) webcam. With cheese the picture is fine, fed through the USB port. My motion.conf file reads as follows.

target_dir /home/ray/webcam
picture_filename %Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S-%q
auto_brightness boolean on
input -1
videodevice /dev/video0
width 640
height 480
quality 100
#setup_mode on
framerate 2
threshold 10000
minimum_motion_frames 2

This is one of the resultant files
2018-09-23_20-04-49-00.jpg
I've tried loading an earlier version of motion but the problem persists and I'm now wondering if it is one of the libraries motion uses?
Any ideas folks?

Return to “Software & Applications”