Clonezilla doesn't ask to clone bootloader

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LMC

Clonezilla doesn't ask to clone bootloader

Post by LMC »

I'm using latest Clonezilla to clone my disk but it doesn't ask to clone bootloader. I'm using this guide and and chosing disk to disk clone. How do I fix this?

https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-co ... disk_clone
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Clonezilla doesn't ask to clone bootloader

Post by MintBean »

Select the easy/standard mode whatever it is. All the settings are as they need to be.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Disk to disk clone should work fine as that is what I used to copy my triple boot drive to a larger one
LMC

Post by LMC »

I'm afraid it won't clone bootloader. Why doesn't it ask to clone bootloader like in the guide?
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Is the drive you are cloning a gpt disk ?
LMC

Post by LMC »

Laurent85 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am Is the drive you are cloning a gpt disk ?
How do I check that?
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

LMC wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:22 pm How do I check that?
you can use fdisk:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
See Disklabel type. A gpt drive on an uefi OS has no bootloader in the MBR, an uefi partition is used instead.
LMC

Post by LMC »

Laurent85 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:29 pm
LMC wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:22 pm How do I check that?
you can use fdisk:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
See Disklabel type. A gpt drive on an uefi OS has no bootloader in the MBR, an uefi partition is used instead.
It's gpt. Is it bad for disk cloning and cloning bootloader?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Please just do the clone, what is the downside if it doesn't clone the bootloader? I have used clonezilla on my Lenovo laptop with EFI/GPT and with my Toshiba laptop that is a triple boot using CSM/legacy boot and clonezilla hasn't failed me doing a disk to disk clone
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I can confirm that Clonezilla handles GPT disks just fine. Just make sure you select the entire disk instead of individual partitions.
LMC

Post by LMC »

JeremyB wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:51 pm Please just do the clone, what is the downside if it doesn't clone the bootloader? I have used clonezilla on my Lenovo laptop with EFI/GPT and with my Toshiba laptop that is a triple boot using CSM/legacy boot and clonezilla hasn't failed me doing a disk to disk clone
Did it work when you restored the clone? So you mean the clone will work and be fully function when cloning without bootloader? Does it matter if it's full disk encrypted? By the way, what is bootloader and what it's purpose?
Last edited by LMC on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

LMC wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:46 pm It's gpt. Is it bad for disk cloning and cloning bootloader?
The guide you followed referred to a mbr drive. Clonezilla did not offer to clone the bootloader in your case only because your gpt drive has no bootloader to backup.
LMC

Post by LMC »

Laurent85 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:58 pm
LMC wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:46 pm It's gpt. Is it bad for disk cloning and cloning bootloader?
The guide you followed referred to a mbr drive. Clonezilla did not offer to clone the bootloader in your case only because your gpt drive has no bootloader to backup.
Ok. Good to know. Thanks :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

LMC wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:58 pm
Did it work when you restored the clone? So you mean the clone will work and be fully function when cloning without bootloader? Does it matter if it's full disk encrypted? By the way, what is bootloader and what it's purpose?
a Clone is just that, it does not read the info as text,
it reads the Bits and Zeros, it does not care if the disk is encrypted or not,
it is a Metal to Metal copy.

just clone it and go on.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

LMC wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:58 pm
JeremyB wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:51 pm Please just do the clone, what is the downside if it doesn't clone the bootloader? I have used clonezilla on my Lenovo laptop with EFI/GPT and with my Toshiba laptop that is a triple boot using CSM/legacy boot and clonezilla hasn't failed me doing a disk to disk clone
I did an actual disk to disk clone, hard drive to another hard drive
LMC

Post by LMC »

The cloning went well. Is there a guide to restore the clone?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

LMC wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 am The cloning went well. Is there a guide to restore the clone?
https://clonezilla.org/lecture-material ... all-v2.pdf

https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Software & Applications”