initialing xstdcmap

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sclee0620

initialing xstdcmap

Post by sclee0620 »

hello I have upgraded to linuxmint 19 from 18.3

Due to my program using x11 package, I need to initialise x11 graphic. Hence I typed the command xstdcmap -all or xstdcmap -best.

However, it keeps showing like help page and listing the commands inside of xstdcmap like below. Does anyone know how to initialise xstdcmap?

davidlee@davidlee-linux ~ $ xstdcmap -all
usage: xstdcmap [-options]

where options include:
-all make all standard colormaps for the display
-best make the RGB_BEST_MAP
-blue make the RGB_BLUE_MAP
-default make the RGB_DEFAULT_MAP
-delete name remove a standard colormap
-display dpy X server to use
-gray make the RGB_GRAY_MAP
-green make the RGB_GREEN_MAP
-red make the RGB_RED_MAP
-verbose turn on logging
-version print version info
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: initialing xstdcmap

Post by gm10 »

So did this work for you on Mint 18.3 then or why do you mention that? Because it would seem that this has been broken for many years:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1292104

Also your entire desktop environment is already running on top of X11, you don't need to initialize anything. What are you actually trying to achieve?
sclee0620

Post by sclee0620 »

I am trying to launch a simulation called geant4 which rely on the visualisation of x11.

Currently, I have a warning like this

G4RTXScanner::Initialize(): cannot get color map.
Perhaps your system does not support XA_RGB_BEST_MAP.
G4RayTracerXViewer::Initialise: No scanner
ERROR in G4VisManager::CreateViewer during RayTracerX viewer initialisation.
No action taken.
WARNING: No viewer created.

According to this program's developer, if you have a new X server it somehow needs to have its colour maps initialised.
I was told to do following things

1) Open another application, such as xclock. See if that fixes it for your G4 app.

2) In a separate terminal window try

xstdcmap -best
or

xstdcmap -all

Every time when I put xstdcmap -best or -all, I get the man help page rather than the command is executed. I do not understand why it is.

Please help me
gm10

Post by gm10 »

sclee0620 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:11 pm Every time when I put xstdcmap -best or -all, I get the man help page rather than the command is executed. I do not understand why it is.
Because Ubuntu's version is broken. I'll attach you a working version. Download, right click to Extract here, then in a terminal window at the location you extracted to run ./xstdcmap -all.

Obligatory disclaimer: careful with binaries random strangers on the Internet tell you to download - use at your own risk, you've got no reason to trust me! You can also go find version 7.7+7+b1 of the x11-xserver-utils package on Debian's website and extract it from there, I just pulled it off a Debian .iso I had at hand.

Whether that fixes the issue with geant4 I cannot say, hwoever.

Return to “Software & Applications”