Mint 19 & LMDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Qurcus
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 19 & LMDE

Post by Qurcus »

I've been using Mint 18 since Windows 10 came out so i know some stuff about the OS. I'm using my 2009 TV as a monitor and a media center. Absolutely no problems with 18 other than the sound keeps switching from HDMI to Analog stereo (no sound) when put to sleep or changing to Cable TV.

Anyways, I have 2 different problems with 19 and LMDE 3. I'm preparing to switch to Debian in case thing haywire with Ubuntu.

Problem 1: Mint 18 i can switch to 1360 x 768 (which works with my TV) or any other display setting, and will stay at that setting, but this not the case with 19 or LMDE 3. Both 19 and LMDE 3 will change to 1920 x 1080 when i power up, after back from sleep, or changing from TV to computer. Is there any way to turn off auto display setting so that it stays at 1379 x 768 ?

Problem 2 : I'm have mouse pointer 'ghosting'. What i mean by this... is that... i will see a trail of mouse pointers across the TV screen when i use the mouse - this has never happened with 18 only 19 & LMDE 3. I've searched the internet and found it happens with Microsoft windows distro's as well. I've read all kinds of reasons why but why doesn't happen with 18 ? Is there a fix ?

I've had 19 on four different computers attached them to my TV and both these problems occur no matter what computer i use. Neither of these problems with 18.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Qurcus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 19 & LMDE

Post by Qurcus »

Well i fixed the sound issue with 18 switching to analog from HDMI. I didn't realize i could shut "Built in Audio" to 'off' in the 'Hardware" settings. Analog no longer shows up in "output" tab so it's not able to switch now.
Qurcus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 19 & LMDE

Post by Qurcus »

I tried MX 17 and it does the same thing. Part of the problem is MX 17 is reading my TV as having a 32" screen (it's 48") but the manufacturer is correctly listed as Phillips. I also tried Manjaro and it says 32" inch as well. Manjaro Cinnamon has the same problem, but their Mate addition stays put at the resolution i set. I'm going to stay with Linux Mint Mate 18 because Manjaro has ugly icons and I had problems with their rolling release in the past. Hopefully someone will find a fix to this problem before 18 is no longer supported.

Return to “Software & Applications”