Timeshift restore not working if changing disks or computer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mkauzlaric

Timeshift restore not working if changing disks or computer

Post by mkauzlaric »

Mint 19 64bit Cinnamon with Encrypted disk installed.

I tried to move to a bigger disk by

1. taking a snapshot of the current system with Timeshift
2. changing the disk to a new one (bigger)
3. installed the same version of Mint with same options (encryption)
4. restore the snapshot with Timeshift

however after the reboot the prompt goes to an Ubuntu initramfs prompt.

The same issue as here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=262383&sid=4be998a ... f3d9a955bc

It appears that one need to start fiddling with cryptofs, UUIDs etc in order to restore the system. The procedure is all but intuitive or strait forward.
This should be fixed by Mint developers.

Another issue is that if one takes the old disk an plug it in into the newly installed system (over USB) in order to copy files manually since Timeshift restore doesn't work, the File manager (Nemo) recognises the disk, and offers a prompt asking for the password to decrypt the disk. After the password is given Nemo says that is unable to mount the partition. I suspect this is because the volume group name of the old disk is the same as the new one (the one given by the Mint installer mint--vg-root).
After fiddling with LVM and cryptsetup to change volume names I was able to mount the disk (Nemo was never able even after the change).

So my request here is to ask the developers to fix the restoring with Timeshift to different a device and to fix Nemo to be able to mount external encrypted disks where Mint is installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Timeshift restore not working if changing disks or computer

Post by gm10 »

Timeshift isn't meant to support that, this will fail due to different partition UUIDs. I'm only surprised that it let you restore at all, it's supposed to check the UUID before doing that. If you want to convince Timeshift's author of adding that feature you'd have to go to https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/issues

Return to “Software & Applications”