Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
caracal478
Level 1
Level 1

music player that handles wav directories

Post by caracal478 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:51 pm

I've been having a hard time finding a music player that handles directories of wav files properly.

by properly i mean it doesn't take the artist/album from the directory structure and i get one big lump of "unknown" in the library.

the weird thing is that some apps, like rhythmbox, have a specific setting for the directory structure format and STILL don't identify the music correctly.

some apps, i'm looking at you tomahawk, couldn't even read in the directory at all.

anybody know of a music player that does the right thing with a directory of .wav files ?

Thanks!

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Re: music player that handles wav directories

Post by phd21 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi caracal478,

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Assuming you installed the 3rd Party software when you installed Linux Mint (mint-meta-codecs), open the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" search for and install "ffmpeg", x264, x265, ubuntu-restricted-extras, aac-enc, wavpack. Then, restart the computer or at least logout and back in.

Most music applications can handle the "wav" format if you have the wav codecs installed.

"Audacious" is a great music application and light on system resources and is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). They also have a PPA for the most current version and for the QT version. This has 3 interface options GTK, WinAMP (skinnable), and QT.

Audacious Music Application
http://www.webupd8.org/2016/08/audaciou ... lable.html
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install audacious
Clementine, Amarok, and many others are available and many posts on music apps topic.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

caracal478
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caracal478 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:47 pm

you misunderstand, there is no problem with playing .wav files.

it's how the library is populated. for example if you have

artist1
album1
wavs...
artist2
album2
wavs...

etc...

then the music program should populate the library and be able to label the information correctly if it understands the directory organization. Some programs have this in there preferences and yet when the populate the library everything is labeled "unknown".

audacious for example is a great music app, but it will not populate the library using a directory, you have to tell it to load files individually which is not reasonable if you have 5000 files.

I have yet to try a single program that does this correctly.

tomahawk is awful. it couldn't even read the directory properly.

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:38 pm

I am not aware of any media player that harvests metadata from the directory structure and/or file names; they all limit themselves to tags. Most mass-tagging tools undoubtedly do in turn support populating tags from directory structure and/or file names... but then you run into the issue of the WAV file format not normally/generically supporting tags. Some programs such as dBpoweramp on Windows seemingly deal with tags in WAV, but that is all very non-standard/defined; not aware of any Linux software which supports WAV tags.

Fortunately the solution is simple: use FLAC rather than WAV and a mass-(re)tagger that can harvest ARTIST/ALBUM/TITLE from the directory structure and file names. I don't use any so have no specific recommendations as to the latter, but if nothing nice's available: having said "mass-(re)tagger" be a one-off script using metaflac would be quite doable as well.

Note that FLAC is lossless which is to say that there's no reason to prefer WAV over it...
Last edited by rene on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi caracal478

What about Amarok, Clementine, Sayonara, and many more, etc... Amarok and Clemetine are in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and many others. Sayonara has to be added.

Some Music applications can sort your music library in various ways like by headings and some have their own file managers built-in, various playlist options, etc...

Sayonara Player Official Site - Downloads
https://sayonara-player.com/downloads.php

Clementine Music Player
https://www.clementine-player.org/

Amarok | Rediscover Your Music!
https://amarok.kde.org/

Hope this helps ...
Sayonara1.jpg
Sayonara
Clementine1.jpg
Clementine
Amarok1.jpg
Amarok
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:30 pm

rene wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:38 pm
[ ... ] but if nothing nice's available: having said "mass-(re)tagger" be a one-off script [ ... ] would be quite doable as well.
e.g., save the following somewhere as "encode.bash" and execute it from the root of your WAV directory:

find -name "*.wav" -print0 | while read -d $'\0' FILENAME; do
    BASENAME=${FILENAME##*/}
    TITLE=${BASENAME%.wav}

DIR1NAME=${FILENAME%/$BASENAME}
    ALBUM=${DIR1NAME##*/}

DIR2NAME=${DIR1NAME%/$ALBUM}
    ARTIST=${DIR2NAME##*/}

echo flac --tag ARTIST="$ARTIST" --tag ALBUM="$ALBUM" --tag TITLE="$TITLE" "$FILENAME"
    echo rm -f "$FILENAME"
done
Remove the "echo" from before "flac" once satisfied this does what you want; remove the "echo" from before "rm -f" if really satisfied. Example:

caracal478@localhost:~/wav$ tree
├── artist1
│   └── album1
│       ├── track1.wav
│       └── track2.wav
└── artist2
    └── album2
        ├── track1.wav
        └── track2.wav

4 directories, 4 files
caracal478@localhost:~/wav$ bash ~/Downloads/encode.bash
[EDIT] I neglected to mention that if you don not have flac installed you clearly need to first install it: sudo apt-get install flac. Also, that the "Library structure" setting in Rhythmbox that you were supposedly referring to is only an import setting; sets the location where Rhythmbox saves your music when importing from (for example) CD. Alsoalso, that even something like MPD does not offer your requested functionality of harvesting metadata from directory structure and/or filenames; that using a filesystem-level rather than metadata-level browser as I saw mentioned through Hoser Rob's below reply would seem to be your only option if you for some reason don't want to use a better format than WAV.
Last edited by rene on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:09 am

This is actually quite different from how I organize my tunes so I'm not sure this is helpful but it may be worth a look ...

https://superuser.com/questions/67618/m ... nd-file-pl

caracal478
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caracal478 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 am

thanks for the suggestion about flac.
i'll take a look at that. it's lossless, so not much reason to not take advantage of it and get my meta-info added in too.

caracal478
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caracal478 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:42 pm

rene wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:30 pm
....a kick ass bash script
forgot to say. that's a pretty cool little script you posted :-)

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks. Just see the comment now; hope it was/is useful.

Return to “Software & Applications”