Question about new malwarebyte browser ext.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Question about new malwarebyte browser ext.

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

im getting some questions recently from some of the teenage linux students ive been helping to learn Linux OSs...most all of us use exts, like ublock origin, privacy badger, minerblock, https everywhere etc, but a new one has just emerged in the chromium and firefox stores...it appears to be a stand alone, browser anti-malware from malwarebytes that is in beta and that is probably based on the browser ext that is already used in their full blown anti-malware scanner version that they have for windows and macs OSs...ive not seen thus far here in the forums of anyone using an anti-malware ext. for their browsers, so what do i tell the kids?...is it a good idea to use something like this for browser protection or is this just more "snake oil" for former windows and mac users?...link is provided below...DAMIEN

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ofjjedodee
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Question about new malwarebyte browser ext.

Post by phd21 »

Hi DAMIEN1307,

This is a brand new browser extension, so there is not much feedback yet. I was always very impressed with the Malwarebytes application when I used MS Windows. Like most people, I already have "ublock origin", "disconnect", "privacy badger" or "privacy protector plus", https everywhere, etc... installed, some of which are supposed to also block malware or bad websites. I don't see anything wrong with installing this extension add-on and trying it (I just did).

But, sometimes installing certain anti-virus and anti-malware applications and maybe related browser add-ons could provide a way for malware to be introduced into your system as they are targets for hackers and bad people creating malware.

Security in Linux Mint: an explanation and some tips - Easy Linux tips project
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security

I still recommend that people use a sandboxing application like "Firejail" with all Internet accessing applications like browsers to prevent malware from affecting the entire system.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I try to keep extensions and plugins to a bare minimum, and while I am familiar with the Malwarebytes organization, I have never used any of their products. Nothing against them in particular, but I tend to view most of these sorts of things with skepticism borne of scare tactics common in their industry.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I trust Mr. Gorhill here. With ublock Origin (extended) and uMatrix - combined with Decentraleyes - I have a very fast, text-oriented, ad-free and JavaScript-sparing Chromium-Vivaldi which exactly corresponds to my ideas (well, old school - corresponds to my age...)
Firefox is more of a joke: all new achievements are more or less manipulated by me via about:config (no Google, no Yahoo, no URLs, telemetry and whatever...), surprisingly it still works.
Of course everything in firejail.
As a countercheck I have an unmanipulated Slimjet (without firejail) to check occasionally what I am spared.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i don't understand why you use ublock origin and privacy badger and now you want malwarebytes? all you need is ublock and you can get rid of https everywhere since it's just a bloated good for nothing extension that does nothing since everything is already pretty much https. also ublock can be altered to block bitcoin mining

all you need is the bare minimum:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Idle's question about Firejail is now here. Please do not piggyback on existing questions, but start a new topic. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

The fewer add-ons in your web browser, the better. Only install those that are absolutely essential for you.

Bare minimum is best. I recommend uBlock uBlock Origin.
Last edited by Pjotr on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

thank you all for the responses thus far...i think i should add that the real one and only question is...<is a malware blocker like malwarebytes new blocker a good idea>or is it "snake oil"...im not just asking about what we all already use for ads and annoyances but purposeful malware blocking in the browser since that is the most vulnerable part of any system for intrusion...thanks...DAMIEN
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Looks like snake oil to me. At least for Linux.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am The fewer add-ons in your web browser, the better. Only install those that are absolutely essential for you.

Bare minimum is best. I recommend uBlock.
I hope you mean uBlock Origin :)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

aes2011 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:46 pm
Pjotr wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am The fewer add-ons in your web browser, the better. Only install those that are absolutely essential for you.

Bare minimum is best. I recommend uBlock.
I hope you mean uBlock Origin :)
Yes. :P

I'll rectify my message.
idle

Post by idle »

Moem wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am Idle's question about Firejail is now here. Please do not piggyback on existing questions, but start a new topic. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”