Difficulty running a 64 bit o.s. on oracle virtualbox.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linuxfart_5459

Difficulty running a 64 bit o.s. on oracle virtualbox.

Post by Linuxfart_5459 »

I'm new to linux and trying to get windows running with virtualbox on my hp pavilion dv6-1030us which uses a 64 bit processor. My current and only o.s. is linux mint 18.3 mate after I decided to wipe windows vista completely off my laptop. Now although I regret doing this, would still prefer to run the free trial windows (link to source article below) through virtualbox as opposed to trying to duel boot it. The problem with virtual box is that I'm only getting options for a 32 bit processor. After doing some research I was unsuccessful at finding the 'virtualization' setting in the bios. After further research I came across a video on youtube that claims to solve this problem by downloading a series of bios updates from h.p.'s website onto a usb and updating to allow access the 'virtualization' setting. That is were I am stuck at the moment. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/oldgrub
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Difficulty running a 64 bit o.s. on oracle virtualbox.

Post by AndyMH »

When you create a new virtual machine what options are you seeing?
Screenshot from 2018-10-05 00-27-01.png
Stupid question, but have you installed a 64 bit version of mint mate?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Linuxfart_5459

Post by Linuxfart_5459 »

Here is an image of my choices in version
after_clicking_version.png
after_clicking_version.png
. Also yes to the second question.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have seen that one before. Go into the BIOS or UEFI and make sure that Virtualization is enabled.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Software & Applications”