Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

cinnamon bricked [SOLVED]

Post by mogplus8 »

I just upgraded to Mint 19 (in another partition) and have been using it for the past few days. However yesterday I was trying to get xoscope to work. To do that I needed esound installed. I finally found I needed to install pulseaudio-esound-compat, which I did from the repository (so probably an old version). Now when I boot into Mint 19, I get the login screen, but after I enter my password I get a message box saying 'unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" X session --- "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" not found; falling back to default session.' and an OK button. If I click OK I get a black screen and a cursor, and nothing else. What do I have to do to get cinnamon back?
Thanks,
Ian
Last edited by mogplus8 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: cinnamon bricked

Post by gm10 »

Sounds like you accidentally uninstalled your desktop environment. At the login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 then log in with your username and password. Run

Code: Select all

apt install --reinstall mint-meta-cinnamon cinnamon
Once that's finished, press Alt+F7 and try to log in.

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

Thank you gm10, that solved the problem!

But how the heck did I manage to uninstall cinnamon??? All I did was install the esound compat pack. Honest guv, I didn't touch nuffink else.

Anyway thanks again. All good now.
:-) Ian

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

mogplus8 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:01 am
Thank you gm10, that solved the problem!

But how the heck did I manage to uninstall cinnamon??? All I did was install the esound compat pack. Honest guv, I didn't touch nuffink else.

Anyway thanks again. All good now
You're welcome. If you really want to know what you uninstalled, open the file /var/log/apt/history.log in a text editor. If you did not uninstall cinnamon directly, then there must be something else there that you removed, something on which cinnamon depended.

Return to “Software & Applications”