Updates changing Firefox personalized settings.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Updates changing Firefox personalized settings.

Post by Kilz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:03 pm

I am about SICK of LM changing the selected search when updating. I choose a search engine. I remove all those that I do not want to use. Then an update to Firefox comes along and removes my settings and replaces what I removed. This is not acceptable. This is one of the reasons I left Microsoft. When I change default settings they need to remain after an update.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Updates changing Firefox personalized settings.

Post by gm10 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Use Ubuntu's version instead, that shouldn't do that, although it's possible Mint is messing it up via the ubuntu-system-adjustment scripts they're running, I'd have to check. Still, worth a try, if you're on LM19, then run:

Code: Select all

apt install firefox/bionic-updates
You can also download Firefox from mozilla directly for complete independence.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Kilz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:03 pm
I am about SICK of LM changing the selected search when updating. I choose a search engine. I remove all those that I do not want to use. Then an update to Firefox comes along and removes my settings and replaces what I removed. This is not acceptable. This is one of the reasons I left Microsoft. When I change default settings they need to remain after an update.
that has never happened to me yet......
I set it this way 2 years ago, and it never changes

I suggest that you sign up for Firefox Sync, no matter what PC that is in use, everything for me stays like I want it.
search.png

Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:29 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:06 pm
Use Ubuntu's version instead, that shouldn't do that, although it's possible Mint is messing it up via the ubuntu-system-adjustment scripts they're running, I'd have to check. Still, worth a try, if you're on LM19, then run:

Code: Select all

apt install firefox/bionic-updates
You can also download Firefox from mozilla directly for complete independence.
Thanks, I have gone to the Ubuntu package and hope it stops this from happening. As a last resort I will go to the Mozilla install, but thats a manual install. Not that I cant do it, but I would have to keep an eye on updates, that or write a script to update it. I really like auto updates. In any event it shouldnt be happening in the first place. If its a script, it needs to stop changing user set preferences.
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:09 pm
Kilz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:03 pm
that has never happened to me yet......
I set it this way 2 years ago, and it never changes

I suggest that you sign up for Firefox Sync, no matter what PC that is in use, everything for me stays like I want it.

search.png
Sync was already on, but for some reason didnt change it back to what I selected.
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:37 pm

Kilz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:29 pm
As a last resort I will go to the Mozilla install, but thats a manual install. Not that I cant do it, but I would have to keep an eye on updates, that or write a script to update it. I really like auto updates. In any event it shouldnt be happening in the first place. If its a script, it needs to stop changing user set preferences.
It auto-updates, will check for updates when you start it, download them automatically and install them next time you launch it.

Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:48 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:37 pm
Kilz wrote:
As a last resort I will go to the Mozilla install, but thats a manual install. Not that I cant do it, but I would have to keep an eye on updates, that or write a script to update it. I really like auto updates. In any event it shouldnt be happening in the first place. If its a script, it needs to stop changing user set preferences.
It auto-updates, will check for updates when you start it, download them automatically and install them next time you launch it.
Thanks just manually installed it. Brings me back to the early days of Linux 64bit when we had to manually install 32 bit Firefox.
64bit Linux Powered

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Kilz wrote:

Thanks, I have gone to the Ubuntu package and hope it stops this from happening. As a last resort I will go to the Mozilla install, but thats a manual install. Not that I cant do it, but I would have to keep an eye on updates, that or write a script to update it. I really like auto updates. In any event it shouldnt be happening in the first place. If its a script, it needs to stop changing user set preferences.

Sync was already on, but for some reason didnt change it back to what I selected.
I am running the Mozilla install direct from their website.
it still does AutoUpdates, or at the very least, it says "Updates are available", can't remember what the last update message said.

I just now clicked on 'about Firefox', and got the little circle going around, then it said "Firefox is up todate"
so, AutoUpdates must be running.... current version is 62.0.3

Return to “Software & Applications”