Cannot open a terminal now [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cannot open a terminal now

Post by xenopeek »

EdB wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am I created another user, logged in as that person, and that user can open his gnome-terminal just fine. But my original account cannot.
This is the part that confirms it must be something in the home directory methinks. Software is fine.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:40 am
EdB wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am I created another user, logged in as that person, and that user can open his gnome-terminal just fine. But my original account cannot.
This is the part that confirms it must be something in the home directory methinks. Software is fine.
Check out my later comments - i.e., once I open a gnome-terminal in another account, I can then log back into my account and my gnome-terminals WORK! But I *have* to open a terminal in the other account *first*. It is not enough just to log out/in/out/in.

So, so strange.
jretropie

Post by jretropie »

I have this strange issue too. I temporary fix is select "mark for reinstall" on "gnome-terminal" and "gnome-terminal-data" and then click "apply"
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

How about installing a different terminal?

E.g lxterminal is a regular old terminal with minimal dependencies:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lxterminal
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jretropie

Post by jretropie »

I finally resolved the issue in my particular case that the problem occurs after every reboot.
It seems to cause by Chrome remote desktop.

sudo apt remove chrome-remote-desktop
Last edited by jretropie on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

jretropie wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 am I finally resolved the issue in my particular case that the problem occurs after every reboot.

I will try this. I was experimenting with various RDP things at the time, and CRD was one of them. I mentioned also that I was testing with TeamViewer as well. Neither was to my liking, so I zorched them both. I actually ended up "solving" my problem by creating a new user and recreating my working environment, as I was not deeply committed to Linux yet, and I considered this installation as my beta test and was willing to let a few things get screwed up for the sake of learning.

FWIW, I settled on x11vnc as my desktop sharing app and RealVNC Viewer as my client for tablet and other computers. They work great! But I still have the old user in the system, so will see if the terminal problem is still there. Thanks for replying!
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cannot open a terminal now [SOLVED]

Post by EdB »

jretropie wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 am I finally resolved the issue in my particular case that the problem occurs after every reboot.

Logged in as the old user and gnome-terminal works. I am going to say that was the problem. I probably ought to reinstall CRD to confirm but nah :).
MostHated

Post by MostHated »

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I installed Chrome Remote Desktop last night (Pop!_OS though, not using Mint currently) and restarted today and started to have the same issues. After some searching I came across this thread. Was anything ever found to actually allow Chrome Remote Desktop to work for you without giving this issue, or should I just use TeamViewer or something else instead?

Return to “Software & Applications”