[SOLVED} SimpleScreeenRecorder

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
julianvb

[SOLVED} SimpleScreeenRecorder

Post by julianvb »

2018-10-09

I used SimpleScreenrcReorder successfully a few years ago and liked it very much. I wonder if there is a way I can keep its playbacks from displaying all the intermediate steps as they can be very distractive. Any help will be much appreciated.

Better yet, can someone recommend me an equally simple screen recorder? Thanks very much.

Julianvb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AvishayRapp

Re: SimpleScreeenRecorder

Post by AvishayRapp »

Hello Julianvb.

What do you mean exactly?
I think that you might need a video editor to cut out the unwanted parts.

Look here:
https://www.tecmint.com/best-free-video ... or-linux/
I really hope this helps you!
( If it does, please mark the topic as [SOLVED] in the title! )

I use OpenShot, I like the simplicity of it and it has all the basic and some advanced features I need.
I might be uploading some "HowTo" videos soon, and I really like the way OpenShot makes it easy for me to edit my videos.
julianvb

Re: SimpleScreeenRecorder

Post by julianvb »

AvishayRapp,

Thank you very much for your very helpful suggestions. Even though I like the quality of my SSR outputs, I find the recording process somewhat time-consuming. I'll definitely try out OpenShot and follow your future postings on this topic.

Julianvb
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED} SimpleScreeenRecorder

Post by phd21 »

HI julianvb,

I am not sure what you mean, but if you mean that you do not want to see the SimpleScreenRecorder's (SSR) interface in your video recording, after selecting the options you want in SSR and once you are at the "record screen", just minimize it, then you can use "Control+r" to start recording and use "Control+r" again to stop SSR from recording and not see the SSR interface in your video, don't forget to save the video.

FYI: It is really simple to edit (trim, cut) existing videos using any video editor (Kdenlive, Openshot, Avidemux, etc...) or a simple video "cut/trim" application like "Lossless Cut" or "vidcutter" to select only a portion of a video that you want to keep. For example, using Lossless Cut application, if you want to remove a portion of the beginning or end of a video, you just mark the start of the beginning part of the video to keep go towards the end using the slider, buttons, or keyboard commands of the video and mark the ending part of the video to keep and click the scissors to cut and it will automatically save it with a new name. You can use the left or right arrows to go back and forth in the video.

lossless-cut: Simple and ultra fast cross platform tool for lossless trimming/cutting of video and audio files
https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

Previous posts:
Avidemux can't load .mp4 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=278862&hilit=losslesscut

Cropping video files such as .MOV files etc. - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=270579

Hope this helps ...
SSR_Start_Stop_Recording_Keys.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

Hi, phd21,
Thanks very much. What I originally meant was that my SSR recordings display not only videos but also intervening screens of texts telling me what SSR is doing. I hope I'm making myself a bit clearer? Thanks again.
Julianvb
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi julianvb,

You are welcome...
Julianvb wrote:What I originally meant was that my SSR recordings display not only videos but also intervening screens of texts telling me what SSR is doing. I hope I'm making myself a bit clearer? Thanks again.
I do not understand your comment. Maybe you can share one of your SSR videos and or screenshots of what you are seeing? I use SSR fairly frequently, and I do not see anything related to what SSR is doing, nothing like "intervening screens of texts telling me what SSR is doing". Whenever I use SSR for recording a tutorial or demo with my voice for instance, I minimize SSR and then hit "Ctrl+R" and wait about 2-3 seconds before I start speaking, but I never see any messages from SSR while recording, when finished, I hit Ctrl+R again to pause/stop recording, save the recording.
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Think Phd21 explained it well above, but if you like try Kazam, there are no extra bits on screen, the count down bit disappears before recording actually starts.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

Hi, phd21 and rickNS,

I hope I haven't created the impression that I disagreed with phd21. I always admire his vast Linux knowledge.

Unfortunately I lost many of my files two years ago when something happened to my Western Digital SSD drive. I'll need to look for one of my SSR recordings or try to create a new one. Please excuse me for not being able to utilize your kind help in troubleshooting my problem in the meantime. I've just finished cleaning up my backyard where a recent strong windstorm uprooted two huge twenty-year-old trees. Once again thank you both very much.

Julianvb
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

just following along, it appears that support for SSR has been dropped?

the Terminal commands he gives don't work when you get to the 'install'

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package simplescreenrecorder
http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

I found it here https://github.com/MaartenBaert/ssr

but the install instructions are just plain scary.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI AZgl1500,

What makes you think support for SimpleScreenRecorder (ssr) has been dropped? SSR is one of the best and most popular desktop recorders (screencasters) available. I use it a lot.

Anyone using Linux Mint 19 can install this from within the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

For people using Linux Mint 18.x or 17.x use the instructions below:

To install SSR using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert or Ctrl+Shift+v), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
Add this if you want to record 32-bit OpenGL applications on a 64-bit system:

sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder-lib:i386

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

phd21 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 pm HI AZgl1500,

What makes you think support for SimpleScreenRecorder (ssr) has been dropped? SSR is one of the best desktop recorders available. I use it a lot.

Hope this helps ...
Because when I went to his home webpage, the commands he listed on that page do not work.

then later, I found it on github, but that is not an easy process.

using the steps that you provided, it installed perfectly.

all I want to do with it, is to record my laptop screen and audio so that I can show folks how to work with different applications and forum help.

that said, is there any reason to install the 32 bit Open GL part of it?
I'm using 18.3 Cinnamon
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

You are welcome...

This is perfect for what you want to do. I use SSR all the time to " show folks how to work with different applications and forum help".

If it is a video that I think others can benefit from, I will upload it to my YouTube Channel and get a link to post back here in the forum or elsewhere like an email, etc... otherwise I will upload it to one of my cloud accounts and get a shared link to give to others.

FYI: Most people can use the SSR defaults to record their desktop with audio, but on some systems, you may have to experiment with the audio. If you want to record your microphone and it is not working in SSR, then you will have to check your Linux sound settings to make sure the mic is on and that audio is configured for Stereo Duplex . I use "qasmixer" and "pulse audio volume control" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" to control or fine-tune my sound settings.

I always install the command below as well because some applications are 32-bit OpenGL even if installed on a 64-bit system and this will allow you to record those.

Hope this helps ...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Thanks Phil,

went ahead and install the 32bit as it might be needed later.

as always, I really appreciate your indepth help posts.

I hate github, much prefer the PPA method of installs.
simple, direct, and they work.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI AZgl1500,

You are welcome...

How To Record Your Screen in Ubuntu With SimpleScreenRecorder | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/record-screen-ubunt ... nrecorder/

GitHub and Gitlab are just online places for developers and programmers to store and maintain their software source code and to work on their projects with their code and they may provide many different options for installing their software. It is not recommended to try and install software from source code unless you know what you are doing or there is no better installation options.

It is a good idea to be cautious when installing any software from unknown sources even PPA's if they are not from the developers. People like me and others in this forum research these options for you and others. And, you do not have to install the PPA although that will keep software updated, you can also download and install Linux deb files from most PPA's.

FYI:
GitLab vs GitHub: What Are The Key Differences?
https://usersnap.com/blog/gitlab-github/

GitHub vs. GitLab — Which is Better for Open Source Projects?
https://hackernoon.com/github-vs-gitlab ... c45d464be0

Return to “Software & Applications”