Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mildly_odd
Level 1
Level 1

How to share Lightning Calender with Android

Post by Mildly_odd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi, I find this a very confusing topic as all the resources I have found so far seem to assume much more awareness of how it all fits together.
So far, I have Thunderbird 52.9.1 running on Linux Mint 18.1. I have an Android phone (7.11). The main things I want to avoid are having to use any Microsoft/Google/Apple calender account service.

Prep so far:
The lightning set up guide here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ex ... a-calendar says
"Things you need: A server supporting WebDAV"
and they give a link that goes to the wiki page for WebDav which is too complex for me and doesn't give me a starting point I can work with. When I look through the "New Calender" setup in Thunderbird it takes me to a choice of setting up an "iCalender" or a "CalDav". Lastly, I have been looking for Android apps. I have found one called iCal Import/Export that boasts it can import any kind of calender and it allows me to choose the source of a calender as Web or WebDav and then it asks for an iCal URL.

What I think I have gleaned from this is that I need either
a) to set up some server of my own, with said WebDav, and presumably some sort of personal ID/account on it
b) to find someone else who runs such a server for punters like me
and also that
c) that these things called CalDav or iCal/iCalender might be related, but elsewhere I have got the idea that they might be Google or Apple related. I don't mind if they are open standards, less happy if it means they can data-mine my calender.

All my efforts so far on searching for things like "how do I set up a WebDav server/account" have so far simply led to forums with people who already have such a thing and have a problem with it.

Can anyone help suggest the next steps please?

Mildly_odd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to share Lightning Calender with Android

Post by Mildly_odd » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Ok, the short question is actually just:
"How do I use the Lightning Calender on Linux Mint in conjunction with a phone using Android?"

Return to “Software & Applications”