Shotwell and HiDPI monitor

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hans123
Level 3
Level 3

Shotwell and HiDPI monitor

Post by hans123 »

While searching for a photo management program I installed Shotwell. The images on screen are not as sharp as with e.g. xviewer the standard photo viewer of Mint 19 Cinnamon. What could be the reason for this and can it be solved? Cinnamon Desk Scaling is set to Double (HiDPI) which works well. On the Internet I could not find whether Shotwell does support HiDPI monitors.

In the attached screenshot the fragment on the left is by Xviewer and on the right Shotwell. Because of compression it is not exactly what I see on screen, but still gives a good impression.
Screenshot from 2018-10-13 20-16-33.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hans123
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Shotwell and HiDPI monitor

Post by hans123 »

When Cinnamon Desktop Scaling is set to Auto, the resolution of the pictures in Shotwell is fine. So definitely related to HiDPI.
I have checked this with Shotwell vs 0.28.2 and vs 0.30.1 (the latest stable, via Flatpak).
The Shotwell project maintains a mailing list. I will also ask help there.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi hans123,

Shotwell is a really nice application and like most popular applications has many different installation options. My personal preference is to not use Flatpak or Snap packages unless there is no other choice. I would remove the installed Shotwell Flatpak and use a different installation option like their PPA. From what I just read their development version has some bugfixes and new features with better HiDPI monitor support. If you have installed previous versions remove them first, if you have installed their regular PPA remove it first. FYI: Shotwell uses gPhoto2 so make sure that is installed as well. You can tell Showell in its settings preferences to use an external image editor like Gimp or Kolourpaint for resizing (scaling) images or other tasks that Shotwell does not do itself.

Linux Release Roundup: GNOME Twitch, Shotwell & GIMP - OMG! Ubuntu!
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/lin ... twitch-app

To install this using the Shotwell development PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yg-jensge/shotwell-unstable

sudo apt update

sudo apt install shotwell
You might also consider the Linux Mint "Pix" application which also works well...

digiKam - Download click Linux AppImage link
https://www.digikam.org/download/

"XnViewMP", Darktable, DigiKam (AppImage), Gimp 2.9 or higher 2.10, etc... should work well on HiDPI monitors and check configuration settings and preferences for anything related to HiDPI.

How to Install Darktable 2.4.3 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS | UbuntuHandbook
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-18-04/

Linux Desktop | HiDPI Tipps - Gnome, Mate, Gimp, Steam, Darktable - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVJQnkNLpJ0

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
hans123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hans123 »

Thank you very much for this!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi hans123,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Software & Applications”