SOLVED:Laptop with 2 hard drives: Windows 10 & Linux Mint 19. There is never an opportunity to boot into Windows

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED:Laptop with 2 hard drives: Windows 10 & Linux Mint 19. There is never an opportunity to boot into Windows

Post by James_Smith »

I know this is a Linux forum but this problem does have to do with Linux. Please hear me out.

This all started when I got an Alienware 15 R3 last year. Here is what I have done over the course of a year in order:

1. I took the HDD out of the Alienware and replaced it with a 1TB SATA SSD. I never once turned on MS Windows 10. I wrote "AW" on the HDD with a marker and put it in a drawer—I had plans for it right from the start.

2. I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon.

3. I bought an M.2 SATA 3 SSD last night and put it in the machine (there are slots for a total of four SSDs). I installed Linux Mint on it.

4. I cloned the original HDD (that came with the Alienware) to the 1TB SATA SSD I mentioned above.

5. I put the cloned 1TB SATA SSD into the proper slot and turned the machine on.

6. I was unable boot up into Windows but I can boot up into Linux just fine.

I thought it had something to do with UEFI vs. Legacy and/or secure boot vs. unsecured but I changed all of that stuff in the BIOS in every way imaginable to no avail.

I thought what would happen would be that I'd turn the machine on, go to Grub, and see an option for logging onto either LM19 or W10. I don't see that option nor do I see any other way to log onto Windows. Of course, I can see the other hard drive from Linux and everything looks good. It looks like a typical Windows C or D drive (or whatever it is).

Ordinarily, I wouldn't worry about it this much, but I need W10 for school and work and I use Linux for everything else.

EDIT [SOLVED]: Windows was somehow corrupted even though I never once used the original HDD :x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have been using Linux for years and I am still a newbie
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Laptop with 2 hard drives: Windows 10 & Linux Mint 19. There is never an opportunity to boot into Windows

Post by z31fanatic »

How did you clone the original HDD to the Sata SSD?
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Laptop with 2 hard drives: Windows 10 & Linux Mint 19. There is never an opportunity to boot into Windows

Post by James_Smith »

z31fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:34 pm How did you clone the original HDD to the Sata SSD?
With a WEme USB 3.0 to SATA Dual-Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station with Offline Clone/Duplicator Function. I've used it on five different hard drives with a 100% success rate so I know I did it right. That's not to say that something couldn't have gone wrong.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: SOLVED:Laptop with 2 hard drives: Windows 10 & Linux Mint 19. There is never an opportunity to boot into Windows

Post by z31fanatic »

Interesting product, I had never seen it before.
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Re: SOLVED:Laptop with 2 hard drives: Windows 10 & Linux Mint 19. There is never an opportunity to boot into Windows

Post by James_Smith »

z31fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 am Interesting product, I had never seen it before.
It boots up about 3-4 seconds faster than a regular SATA SSD but it really performs when it comes to pretty much everything else. For example, I loaded a bunch of stuff from my external hard drive to the SATA SSD and it took 1 hour, 8 minutes. When I loaded the same stuff to the SATA 3 SSD, it only took 38 minutes.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

With Etcher can make a bootable Windows 10 copy also, when selecting Unsafe Mode from Etcher's settings.
etcher.png

Return to “Software & Applications”