VCN server - working concept?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mildly_odd
Level 2
Level 2

VCN server - working concept?

Post by Mildly_odd »

Hi
I've been trying to set up a VCN link so that I can share a desktop between two PCs running Mint. The two PCs are on the same private LAN but in different physical locations so I'd like to be able to control one from the other to save walking backwards and forwards between them.

1. Previous success
I had previously had success with setting up a Real VNC client on one of the Mint PCs and the RealVNC Server running on a Pi Zero. At the time it seemed quite straight forward as on the Pi Zero the server software had a GUI to set up the security with a password and also some memorable phrases which, on the client side, would verify that the server side really was who it purported to be. It all works fine within the confines of a domestic LAN.

2. PROBLEM AREAS
Real VNC
When I tried the same thing between two Mint PCs I find that they don't respond to the command "sudo apt-get install realvnc-vnc-server realvnc-vnc-viewer
"
stating that they can't find realvnc-vnc-server . When I got the latter from the RealVNC website as a .deb file and ran it, and then ran "vncserver" at the command promt I received an error relating to missing licence keys. For Real VNC I though the licence issue was only for connections accross the public internet (I could be wrong of course) and this doesn't esplain why it works in the Raspberry Pi case.

Software manager
I've also tried TightVNCServer and Vino but have varied outcomes. With the former it gives the user the chance to enter an 8 digit password and with the latter there seems no way to configure it at all.

3. Where I've got to now
In all cases the result of attempting to log in from the second Mint PC with the real-vnc-client on the same LAN is that it can't get a response. I've done a lot of searches for how to configure VNC servers though they all relate to people who are attempting something that needs port forwarding outside of the LAN or some other intricacy.

I am really wondering what could be so different from the positive Raspberry Pi experience where it all seemed to happen conveniently. I suspect I'm missing something about the basic working concept of the vnc server idea.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: VCN server - working concept?

Post by gm10 »

RealVNC is commercial software. The last free version is from 2006 and that's the only one in the Ubuntu repositories (under the name vnc4).

If you've got the firewall enabled on Mint then in its default configuration it will block any incoming VNC connections. If it's not that then you likely misconfigured something.
Mildly_odd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mildly_odd »

OK, thank you! I had completely forgotten the firewall!

I've not found the firewall that assuring in terms of setting it up for RDP/VNC so I'm first going to test it with the firewall down completely. Am I right to understand that in this case with VNC4, or TightVNCserver/Vino, any of these that it should just work with the realvnc client on the second computer?

What I don't understand is how I set the password on the server side. Only TightVNC seemed to have an option to do this and so it makes me wonder if I have misunderstood the concept of how the vnc works overall.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

VNC4 has the vnc4passwd command to generate a password. Why not just stick to TightVNC if you find that one comfortable to set up?

Maybe this overview helps:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers

Return to “Software & Applications”