[Solved] Cannot set up ubuntu-system-adjustments

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
georgi

[Solved] Cannot set up ubuntu-system-adjustments

Post by georgi »

On the latest 64-bit Mint Mate, after the last dist-upgrade I could not set up any of the packages. I rebooted to encounter a disk problem. I ran fsck and rebooted. Then I could set up all packages except ubuntu-system-adjustments. Upon runnin " dpkg --configure -a I see

Code: Select all

Setting up ubuntu-system-adjustments (2018.07.09.1) ...
Reloading systemd
Removed /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/hddtemp.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/hddtemp.service → /etc/systemd/system/hddtemp.service.
update-alternatives: error: alternative path /usr/share/plymouth/themes/mint-text/mint-text.plymouth doesn't exist
dpkg: error processing package ubuntu-system-adjustments (--configure):
 installed ubuntu-system-adjustments package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 ubuntu-system-adjustments
Please, help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Cannot set up ubuntu-system-adjustments

Post by gm10 »

It's telling you that it's missing files, so reinstall that package. Also your mention of dist-upgrade is worrying me, and for all the scenarios I can come up with where you would be using that I would suggest you do to a clean install now because you likely messed up your system.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

gm10 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:09 am It's telling you that it's missing files, so reinstall that package. Also your mention of dist-upgrade is worrying me, and for all the scenarios I can come up with where you would be using that I would suggest you do to a clean install now because you likely messed up your system.
I'm afraid I agree ... you should never run dist-upgrade in Mint. You'll pull in Ubuntu software that shouldn't be there and create a sort of hybrid, and the problems caused by this aren't easy to fix. I'd say apt-get update is safe but I'd use Mint Update for the rest. This is one of my pet peeve 'expert' recommendations on these forums. Just because someone has a lot more forum entries than you that doesn;t mean they';e knowledgeable. I've seen users with over 1000 posts who are tech ignorant and people with a dozen who are clearly expert.

Mint is Ubuntu based except for LMDE but that does not mean you can or should use any Ubuntu solutions in Mint.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34 am I'm afraid I agree ... you should never run dist-upgrade in Mint. You'll pull in Ubuntu software that shouldn't be there and create a sort of hybrid, and the problems caused by this aren't easy to fix. I'd say apt-get update is safe but I'd use Mint Update for the rest. This is one of my pet peeve 'expert' recommendations on these forums. Just because someone has a lot more forum entries than you that doesn;t mean they';e knowledgeable. I've seen users with over 1000 posts who are tech ignorant and people with a dozen who are clearly expert.
apt update and apt upgrade are both safe. I was more thinking that dist-upgrade is generally used to gloss over dependency issues, configuration questions, etc. - the situation where you have to use that rather than a normal upgrade usually means your system is having issues already and/or you're trying to do something that you shouldn't be doing (like upgrading from Mint 18 to Mint 19 via a dist-upgrade).

I'm smiling about your post count statement, because while certainly correct, you sort of told him not to trust both our recommendations. :mrgreen:
georgi

Post by georgi »

Thanks, reinstalling didn't work but removing and installing fixed it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34 am I'm afraid I agree ... you should never run dist-upgrade in Mint. You'll pull in Ubuntu software that shouldn't be there and create a sort of hybrid
You keep repeating that but that's not in fact true. See this post by Karlchen, who knows a whole lot more than I do.

The reason not to run dist-upgrade in Mint is that you'll pull in all available updates regardless of level and level settings. Please stop repeating disinformation.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

georgi wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 am Thanks, reinstalling didn't work but removing and installing fixed it.
You're welcome. Out of curiosity, what command did you use to reinstall? Because that should have worked.

Return to “Software & Applications”