Solved: Upgrade to T'bird 60.2.1 zaps Lightning Calender add-on

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lannatwin
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Fixed {for me}Re: Upgrade to T'bird 60.2.1 zaps Lightning Calender add-on

Post by lannatwin »

mint_julep-forums wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 pm I installed the lightning extension from synaptic "xul-ext-lightning" and now I get calender and task buttons on the opening Thunderbird screen, and it appears to be functioning OK, displayed as version 60.2.1.
Hey, that worked! Thanks for finding that.
Romper

Re: Upgrade to T'bird 60.2.1 zaps Lightning Calender add-on

Post by Romper »

The synaptic package did not work for me in Mint 18.3 but did work in Mint 19 on my laptop although with the latter I removed the extension in the add-ons manager first. :?
Of course I had nothing in the laptop calendar, everything important is on my desktop on 18.3. :evil:

Edit:

I uninstalled Lightning from the T-bird add-ons mgr then relaunched, and the new version of Lightning was there on my desktop on Mint 18.3. :D
markht
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markht »

I ran into this problem today in Mint 19 when Tbird 60.2.1 was installed through the Update Manager. Removing the Lightning add-on from Tbird and installing the "xul-ext-lightning" package allowed me to recreate my calendar and connect it to Google Calender.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

SuffolkPunch wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:19 pm Earlier today, was running Thunderbird 51.9.1 in LM 18.3 (Cinnamon, 64-bit).

Then the update manager said an update to v 60.2.1 was available, so i applied it.

I relaunched T'bird 60.2.1 to find the Lightning add-on unavailable.

How do I get Lightning to work in 60.2.1?

Force roll-back to an earlier T'bird? Re-install LM OS from TimeShift backup?

Hope someone knows!
Yes,
pick the last good Timeshift Backup prior to the Updates you allowed.
I hope you always make a Timeshift Manual backup and Type in a description of why you made it.

backup with that, and you will be back to exactly where you were before all of those updates were applied.
Then block all future updates as shown above: apt hold thunderbird

like this:
Timeshift updates.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SuffolkPunch
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Fixed {for me}Re: Upgrade to T'bird 60.2.1 zaps Lightning Calender add-on

Post by SuffolkPunch »

mint_julep-forums wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 pm I installed the lightning extension from synaptic "xul-ext-lightning" and now I get calender and task buttons on the opening Thunderbird screen, and it appears to be functioning OK, displayed as version 60.2.1.
Thanks! Tried that and it works for me too. It installs Lighning v 6.2.2.1.

Probably safer to use Synaptic as a source for thunderbird add-ons than downloading them from the internet...
SuffolkPunch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SuffolkPunch »

Thanks for everyone's help with solving this!

One final point: why was it that Thunderbird 60.2.1 showed the Lightning add-on as incompatible when a compatible version (6.2.2.1) is in the LM18.3 repo? Looks like T-Bird quality control fell asleep at the wheel.
Steve+11

Re: Solved: Upgrade to T'bird 60.2.1 zaps Lightning Calender add-on

Post by Steve+11 »

First off: A BIG thank you to all who helped :!: :!: :!:
I too, updated Thunderbird and suddenly found my calender was missing.
After plowing (ploughing?) through the internet and searching this forum I
found the tip to install "xul-ext-lightning" from Synaptic, remove Lightning as Add-On from Thunderbird
and restart Thunderbird.
Lo' and Behold! My Calender was back with all Tasks and Events I had saved.
Wow! Thumbs UP
Bryan88
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bryan88 »

Thank you, seemed to work for me. Maybe time to look for a standalone calendar though.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Steve+11 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:26 am First off: A BIG thank you to all who helped :!: :!: :!:
found the tip to install "xul-ext-lightning" from Synaptic, remove Lightning as Add-On from Thunderbird
and restart Thunderbird.
Wow! Thumbs UP
Thanks gang. I can confirm that this method works for me on Mint 19 and doesn't lose pre-existing calendar data.
allen.biggins

Post by allen.biggins »

I resolved my lightning (calendar) problem yesterday by running this in a terminal window:- sudo apt install xul-ext-lightning. When I started TB this morning, I had to do it again. Pls don't tell me I've got to do this every day! What the hell is going on here? :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I'm thinking of dumping this piece of crap because my life depends upon a fully functioning calendar that works all the time!

Linux Mint 17.1 (64 bit)
Linux arb-P7812 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:28:38 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
boblynn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Finally Solved for me: Upgrade to T'bird 60.2.1 zaps Lightning Calender add-on

Post by boblynn »

Note: THIS IS NOT SOLVED FOR ME. (Do I need to open a new ticket?)

I tried ajgreeny's suggestion and installed [xul-ext-lightning version 60.2.1] from the synaptic package manager but it had no effect when I restarted T-Bird. How do I link it to the updated version of T-Bird?

Thanks!

Mint 18.3 64 bit, MATE
Last edited by boblynn on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gjbivin

Post by gjbivin »

Look for the little "Switch to the Calendar Tab" icon in the upper right hand corner (it should be next to the "tasks tab" that was there before). Clicking on it should bring up the Calendar tab.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I just noticed this problem today and freaked out. I kinda use the calendar for my work. I jumped thru hoops like others here and finally got it working again. However, Then my 'Theme and Fonts' plugin would not load >:( !@X@!

Finally after mucking around a bit and reloading the 'Theme and Fonts' I got it all back to working again.

What the *ell? Why cant they quit screwing around and just add the 'Theme and Fonts' and Lightning to the main package instead of them being plugins. Its constantly a works/doesnt work relationship.

I really like thunderbird and have used it for years. However, This kind of breakage is really frustrating. I know, They do not maintain the add-ons and all that but - geez really? Seems like they could work a bit closer with the developers of the add-ons. Especially the two most popular ones (as it appears to me).

Mozilla - You kinda tick me off .
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

My understanding is that Lightning is now indeed part of the regular package and no longer an add-on. I can understand why themes should be separate though. I've been using Thunderbird for about 11 years, tried a few themes here and there, but eventually always ended up with the stock look, same as I'm using today. I'm sure the majority of Thunderbird users are fine with the as is look.

But yeah, that whole scenario ticked me off too. After checking to make sure that the proper file was installed via synaptic (which it already was) and after deleting the lightning add-on, followed by restarting Thunderbird, everything was fine again. Whew, what a relief, since I have dozens of items in my Calendar. This switch from add-on to default part of Thunderbird could definitely been handled much better ... Several online announcements three months, two months, and one month in advance, notices to linux distro sites, along with steps for the fix before it was made permanent. I'm disappointed that Mozilla didn't handle that better ...

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
boblynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boblynn »

gjbivin wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:12 pm Look for the little "Switch to the Calendar Tab" icon in the upper right hand corner (it should be next to the "tasks tab" that was there before). Clicking on it should bring up the Calendar tab.
No icon or tasks tab. Part of the problem I suspect.
boblynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boblynn »

MintBean wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:19 pm
Steve+11 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:26 am First off: A BIG thank you to all who helped :!: :!: :!:
and restart Thunderbird.
Wow! Thumbs UP
Thanks gang. I can confirm that this method works for me on Mint 19 and doesn't lose pre-existing calendar data.
I tried this and it shows up as installed in synaptic as 'installed' but it never actually installed in TBird so I was not able to 'remove Lightning as Add-On from Thunderbird and restart Thunderbird'. I did remove it from Synaptic and reinstalled it but no change.
Last edited by boblynn on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Assuming that you've been updating Thunderbird until at least a month ago ...
Make sure that the lightning file, as shown below, has been installed via synaptic package manager.
Also make sure that your current Thunderbird has the lightning addon ... but in disabled state, due to incompatibility.

If you don't have the lightning file from synaptic ... install it now ... from synaptic.

If you have that file installed already, as well as the add-on disabled ... delete the add-on now. Get rid of it.

Restart Thunderbird, and you should have a window with two small symbols near the upper right ....
Took at the images below for reference, (and don't worry about my German language setting).

http://www.drachenbeere.de/thunderbird_new01.jpg

http://www.drachenbeere.de/thunderbird_new02.jpg

PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Install that file via synaptic again !!! Just click or right click on it, then select re-install ...
As long as that add-on is visible in Thunderbird, it's not going to work ...

boblynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boblynn »

LinWinux wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am Assuming that you've been updating Thunderbird until at least a month ago ...
Make sure that the lightning file, as shown below, has been installed via synaptic package manager.
Also make sure that your current Thunderbird has the lightning addon ... but in disabled state, due to incompatibility.

If you don't have the lightning file from synaptic ... install it now ... from synaptic.

If you have that file installed already, as well as the add-on disabled ... delete the add-on now. Get rid of it.

Restart Thunderbird, and you should have a window with two small symbols near the upper right ....
Took at the images below for reference, (and don't worry about my German language setting).

http://www.drachenbeere.de/thunderbird_new01.jpg

http://www.drachenbeere.de/thunderbird_new02.jpg

Thank you for your suggestion but it didn't work for me.
It shows has been installed via synaptic package manager but never shows as an add on in TBird so I can not 'delete the add-on'.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

boblynn wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am .
You can try this link for help maybe.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ca ... hunderbird

Look at this section
When I use my user profile from a previous Thunderbird version with a newer version of Thunderbird, Lightning is not updated
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Software & Applications”