[SOLVED] Thunderbird 60 Minimize to Tray

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Thunderbird 60 Minimize to Tray

Post by mint-me »

After updating to Thunderbird 60 today, the extension Firetray was disabled, it has worked ok for a long time to allow minimizing of Thunderbird to tray, but no more.
As an alternative I tried the linux application called "alltray" but it did not work properly - when clicking close button Thunderbird exited instead of going to tray.
There is a Thunderbird extension called MinimizeToTray Reanimated which looks like it would work, but have security concerns as the page states:

This add-on has not been reviewed by Mozilla

and for permissions:

Permissions
Warning
Some add-ons ask for permission to perform certain functions. Since you’re in control of your Firefox, the choice to grant or deny these requests is yours.
Please note this add-on uses legacy technology, which gives it access to all browser functions and data without requesting your permission.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Debian 11 Bullseye Xfce: HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA
premier69
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Thunderbird 60 Minimize to Tray

Post by premier69 »

BUMP
OS: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia x86_64 | Kernel: 5.3.0-28-generic | DE: Cinnamon 4.4.8 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (16) @ 4.000GHz | GPU: AMD Radeon 580 VRAM: 8GB | RAM: 16GB
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

I couldn't get this to work, extension doesn't show in the addon list and options menu doesn't do anything.

I've being playing with mailnag. Using google to download the emails from my other accounts, setting mailnag and thunderbird to access the single gmail account using IMAP. This gets the new email number back into the system tray and removes a race condition that occurs if you use pop, but there's too many folders in thunberbird for my liking. I'm trying to tidy the folder structure using unified folders or saved searches but it's not there yet.

As for "Hide on close", my panels auto hide if any window covers them so I just have to remember to hit the minimize button and not the close one.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

The extension "Hide Caption Titlebar Plus" can override the close button, so Thunderbird will minimize instead.
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

I just got Firetray working again!

Thunderbird user JokeRTrG on Oct. 18, 2018 posted a a tip on the review page which works.

For TB 60.
git clone https://github.com/firetray-updates/FireTray
cd FireTray/src
make build
ls ../build-*/*.xpi # <-- your xpi, ready to be installed

I don't use git, so just visited the page https://github.com/firetray-updates/FireTray
Downloaded the zip file, right-click extracted it
Used the Terminal command: cd ExtractedDirectory/FireTray/src
followed by command: make build
then navigate UP one directory to find "build-" directory which contains the file firetray-0.6.1.xpi
click and drag it to Addons page in Thunderbird, click ok and restart

Works fine.
Debian 11 Bullseye Xfce: HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA
leicai

Post by leicai »

mint-me wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 pm I just got Firetray working again!

Thunderbird user JokeRTrG on Oct. 18, 2018 posted a a tip on the review page which works.

For TB 60.
git clone https://github.com/firetray-updates/FireTray
cd FireTray/src
make build
ls ../build-*/*.xpi # <-- your xpi, ready to be installed

I don't use git, so just visited the page https://github.com/firetray-updates/FireTray
Downloaded the zip file, right-click extracted it
Used the Terminal command: cd ExtractedDirectory/FireTray/src
followed by command: make build
then navigate UP one directory to find "build-" directory which contains the file firetray-0.6.1.xpi
click and drag it to Addons page in Thunderbird, click ok and restart

Works fine.
Yes, this worked for me also with thunderbird 60.2.1.
Thanks for your tip
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Thunderbird 60 Minimize to Tray

Post by Appoloin »

Doesn't work for me. The options panel is broken so this might be the location of the problem
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Appoloin wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 am Doesn't work for me. The options panel is broken so this might be the location of the problem
Did you start a thread to troubleshoot that? If not, that is my suggestion.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

Appoloin wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 am Doesn't work for me. The options panel is broken so this might be the location of the problem
Appoloin did you try the process I mentioned above?
I also had your problem, but following the above tip I got a fully functioning addon.

Try disable and remove Firetray, then follow steps in above tip.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

The extension installed and was shown in the addons and options menu. The option menu opens but the changes aren't saved.
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

Did you try the steps above??

Check in Preferences > Advanced tab > Config Editor button
Search: extensions.strictCompatibility
Is the value "true"??
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Worked for me too, thanks!
Shaver

Post by Shaver »

I was updated to TB 60.2.1 and the minimizetotray and Lightning gave up the ghost. After searching I found a post about the latest version of Lightning which installs and works fine. Minimizetotray reanimated appeared not to install into the add-on page of TB, but have since found that if I start TB then close it. Click again to restart TB and the icon appears in the bottom right corner on the taskbar and TB minimizes as before. The add-on page still doesn't show any evidence of Minimizedtotray being installed, yet still works.

No idea why the double start seem to work, or why minimizetotray doesn't show. I'm a user and don't delve into the innards of mint unless something like this happens. If there is anyone more knowledgeable who can explain this I would be grateful.
shelduck

Post by shelduck »

mint-me wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 pm I just got Firetray working again! …
Thanks for this, it has semi-worked for me.

The initial installation was fine, but since then it's a bit random as to when it works. At launch the system icon doesn't appear, but usually at some whimsical pop up maybe an hour or two later (I can't isolate any factors that might influence this).

However, a space on the system tray is held (clicking in the area does nothing):
tray.png

Any ideas?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
This is a solved topic; it will not be read much. Any new questions should be made into new topics; this will not only attract more attention, it's also a forum rule. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”