timeshift restore snapshot EXCEPT a device?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
AMA3
Level 1
Level 1

timeshift restore snapshot EXCEPT a device?

Post by AMA3 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm

I had timeshift set up to backup / as well as two users under /home which was on a different partition.

Something went wrong with my drive and I couldn't boot, so I reinstalled Linux Mint.

I'd like to go back to the snapshot I took before the failure, HOWEVER I do not want to restore the /home subdirectories because they are more up-to-date than the snapshot.

When I click the Restore icon in Timeshift, I am prompted to Select Target Device, but there seems to be no way to tell Timeshift that I do not want to restore the /home folders.

Is there any way to restore a Timeshift snapshot but exclude specific devices?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Re: timeshift restore snapshot EXCEPT a device?

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Go to your timeshift/snapshots folder on your disk, find the one you want to restore, and then you've got two options:

Option 1: Copy the current contents of those two home folders into the snapshot to make sure it's up to date.

Option 2: In the snapshot folder find those two home folders and move them out of there AND add them to the exclude.list in the root folder of that snapshot. That last bit is important or it'll delete them on the disk you restore to.

I suggest you first take an up-to-date snapshot in case something goes wrong.

The above is why user folders are excluded by default and why we recommend keeping it that way.

AMA3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AMA3 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks for the response.

So if it's best not to keep home directories in Timestamp, what's the recommended way to keep backups of user data?

Or maybe I should ask more generally, what's the Best Way™ to make backups such that it's easy to pick and choose which files should be restored?

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:28 pm

AMA3 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 pm
So if it's best not to keep home directories in Timestamp, what's the recommended way to keep backups of user data?

Or maybe I should ask more generally, what's the Best Way™ to make backups such that it's easy to pick and choose which files should be restored?
It's usually easiest to use another backup client for your user data, that also allows you to set up a different backup location and frequency. There's a bunch of tools out there. Personally I like https://github.com/bit-team/backintime but if you check Software Manager you can find a ton of backup solutions.
Last edited by gm10 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:25 pm

I much prefer to use LuckyBackup from Software Manager or Synaptic.

easy to set it up, the backed up files are duplicates of the source files, so NEMO can cruise thru the backups just like you were looking at the originals.

BackupIntime is good also, but I don't like the way it works.

silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:55 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:25 pm
I much prefer to use LuckyBackup from Software Manager or Synaptic.

easy to set it up, the backed up files are duplicates of the source files, so NEMO can cruise thru the backups just like you were looking at the originals.

BackupIntime is good also, but I don't like the way it works.
I also have really liked lucky backup

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HaveaMint » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:03 pm

I prefer grsync for my backups but it is a bit more to set it up like you may want it.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

AMA3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AMA3 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks, all, I will look into those solutions. Does anyone else have any votes for/against any of them, and/or any other recommendations?

Return to “Software & Applications”