Fresh install vs upgrade which may be faster?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Fresh install vs upgrade which may be faster?

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello,
Which might be faster? Fresh installed system or upgraded system? What may be the reasons for the same?
Last edited by deepakdeshp on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Fresh install vs upgrade which may be faster?

Post by smurphos » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Major upgrade (e.g 18.3 to 19) or point upgrade (e.g. 19 to 19.1).

I think, including time for setting up backup and restoring what has been backed up after a fresh install and the potential troubleshooting time after an upgrade that in the former case a fresh install is faster. In the latter case a upgrade is faster.

But lots of factors in play - e.g. installation onto SSD is very quick. Speed of your net connection will have a big impact on how long an upgrade takes. The backup/restore and troubleshooting times are very dependent on knowledge and experience of the user and of course what might actually go wrong in an upgrade.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Agreed with smurphos. A clean install as such is much faster, the only associated time cost is how long it takes you to set up the system again. Personally I place every system modification I make into a script to automatically replicate it after a clean install, and a list of installed packages I generate automatically for automatic re-installation (where available), so I am done within minutes, but your situation may be different.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:21 pm

smurphos wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm
Major upgrade (e.g 18.3 to 19) or point upgrade (e.g. 19 to 19.1).

I think, including time for setting up backup and restoring what has been backed up after a fresh install and the potential troubleshooting time after an upgrade that in the former case a fresh install is faster. In the latter case a upgrade is faster.

But lots of factors in play - e.g. installation onto SSD is very quick. Speed of your net connection will have a big impact on how long an upgrade takes. The backup/restore and troubleshooting times are very dependent on knowledge and experience of the user and of course what might actually go wrong in an upgrade.
Thank you . What I really meant is which system would be faster? An upgraded system or freshly installed , considering same software is installed on both.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Petermint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Petermint » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:41 am

A fresh install would be faster only if there is lots of junk you thought you had deleted but is still clogging the arteries of your computer.

Some new versions of software is faster. The LM team are improving the things they work on. Other brands of software tend to be slower with each release due to extra features. You would not see much difference if everything was up to date in the previous install.

Some files will be less fragmented in a fresh install and you are unlikely to notice the difference on SSD.

The main reason I use a fresh install i to clear out all the experiments. I do not reinstall everything from a backup as a large part will be the leftover junk. Instead I reinstall only files for things I need.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:50 am

Petermint wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:41 am
A fresh install would be faster only if there is lots of junk you thought you had deleted but is still clogging the arteries of your computer.

Some new versions of software is faster. The LM team are improving the things they work on. Other brands of software tend to be slower with each release due to extra features. You would not see much difference if everything was up to date in the previous install.

Some files will be less fragmented in a fresh install and you are unlikely to notice the difference on SSD.

The main reason I use a fresh install i to clear out all the experiments. I do not reinstall everything from a backup as a large part will be the leftover junk. Instead I reinstall only files for things I need.
+1
That's a good strategy.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:21 am

A major point release upgrade done via the web is simply not as reliable as a clean reinstall. There are many threads on this both here and in ubuntuforums ... since non LMDE Mate is Ubuntu based it's no better than Ubuntu in that respect.

And if you DO have problems caused by a web upgrade, it's faster usually to fix them by just doing a clean reinstall anyway. So I just clean reinstall.

A separate partition for /home if possible is very handy here.

Return to “Software & Applications”