SOLVED Menu Items Remain after Application Uninstalled

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bob Deb

SOLVED Menu Items Remain after Application Uninstalled

Post by Bob Deb »

Hi,
I am running Mint 19 Tara 32bit - Cinnamon Desktop. I uninstalled wine - Irfanview using the apps uninstall facility. The apps folder was removed from .wine\drive_c\Program Files however the menu items associated with the app are still displayed despite a system reboot (see attachment). Would really appreciate any advice or assistance that anyone can offer to assist me in removing the menu entries. Many thanks - Bob Deb.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Menu Items Remain after Application Uninstalled

Post by Moem »

Does anything useful show up if you rightclick them? Alternatively, you could probably use the menu editor.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bob Deb

Post by Bob Deb »

Many thanks for your prompt response.I have expanded "Irfanview 4.4.4" by right clicking (see attachment). The 1st 3 expanded entries do as they are supposed to, the "Uninstall" entry does nothing. I am relatively new to Linux, could you please guide me through the 'menu edit' procedure. Many thanks Bob Deb.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm on Mint 18.3, but I can give you the procedure for that, and you can see whether it works.
Rightclick on the main menu button and click 'Configure'. In the window that comes up, choose the Menu tab. About halfway down, you'll find a button called 'Open the Menu Editor'. Click that, and the menu editor should open. AFAIK that'll help you get rid of things you don't want to see on the menu.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Or just run this:

Code: Select all

rm -rv ~/.local/share/applications/wine*
You may have to reload Cinnamon for the change to become visible, not sure, I'm not a Cinnamon user (to reload press Alt+F2 and then r followed by Enter).
Last edited by gm10 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10, wouldn't that remove *all* Wine applications?

gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:44 am gm10, wouldn't that remove *all* Wine applications?
Only the launchers, but he doesn't have any others as per his screenshot. If anything he wants to keep is missing afterwards he can just reinstall the package. IrfanView installs a bunch of wine-extension-*.desktop files if he registered any extensions, that's why you need the wildcard there.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:58 am he doesn't have any others as per his screenshot
Good point.

Bob Deb, I too was tempted to install Irfanview on Wine, until I tied out what Pix and XnView can do. Pix is great for simple things like cropping, rotating, and adjusting things like contrast and brightness; XnView is excellent for batch operations.
Is there any specific usage of Irfanview that you are missing? There's probably a good or even great replacement, and I say that as someone who loved Irfan.

Bob Deb

Post by Bob Deb »

Sincere thanks to everybody who responded. The Wine category was removed from the menu and I guess it's Irfanview sub menu has also gone. As pointed out, Irfanview was the only wine app installed, so no dramas involved in its removal. Installing Irfanview was a carry over from my Windows days, it has an excellent batch file rename facility and also was the target destination for screenshots (which it processed far more efficiently than MS Paint). Linux digiKam has an equally efficient batch file rename facility and 'screenshot' saves image files independent of an external image editor, thus my decision to uninstall the superfluous Irfanview. More importantly, my attention has been drawn to the Linux panel/menu configuration facility of which I had no idea beforehand. Many thanks to you all again - Bob Deb.

Return to “Software & Applications”