Timeshift. Where can I keep the snapshot?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steveis2
Level 3
Level 3

Timeshift. Where can I keep the snapshot?

Post by steveis2 »

Hi,
If I am using timeshift in LM19 can I keep the snap shot on the same disk and partition as the main Linux installation or does that defeat the purpose? Should it always be on a separate disk/partition?

Regards Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Timeshift. Where can I keep the snapshot?

Post by AZgl1800 »

it can be done, but that defeats the purpose of a backup.

make a separate partition on the HDD/SSD so that it is not involved if something goes awry.

my 500gB SSD is split into 2 main partitions, the 2nd half is for backups only for
  • Aptik
    Timeshift
    LuckyBackup
    Archives ( misc stuff )
Backup.png
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
steveis2
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED Re: Timeshift. Where can I keep the snapshot?

Post by steveis2 »

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I'll use an external drive I think.

Regards
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Well, except it's not a backup, it's just to recover from a failed update. Unless you're planning on deleting your root partition it's generally not a problem to keep the snapshots on it as well.

What you should keep on an external drive are actual backups of your user data though, so you don't lose them if you disk/device dies.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I recommend a separate partition on the same machine, internal drive.
If it does what it is supposed to do It will take boot snapshots, that can't happen reliably on a USB.

space is a concern. the snapshots are Huge.
root partition is using 6.19 GB
timeshift partition is using 10.37 GB

I do not consider the snapshots precious.
Reinstall is a simple solution if the updater borks your machine.

BACKUP YOUR DATA!!! not with Timeshift, and copy that Off Machine.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 am Well, except it's not a backup, it's just to recover from a failed update. Unless you're planning on deleting your root partition it's generally not a problem to keep the snapshots on it as well.

What you should keep on an external drive are actual backups of your user data though, so you don't lose them if you disk/device dies.
Might want to consider how big that / partition is, and how much storage space you need for the Timeshift backups.... you can zero out the Free Space in a hurry.

So far, I have not limited my Manual Backups... as I keep the backups on /Backup that don't matter to me.
but if kept on /root that can become a problem if not managed right.

Timeshift Backup space.png

my /backup is the 2nd partition on the SSD

Gparted.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gm10

Post by gm10 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:24 pm Might want to consider how big that / partition is, and how much storage space you need for the Timeshift backups.... you can zero out the Free Space in a hurry.

So far, I have not limited my Manual Backups... as I keep the backups on /Backup that don't matter to me.
but if kept on /root that can become a problem if not managed right.
Sure, personally I also store snapshots on another partition. I just had the impression that this was not an option available to the OP, so I thought it worth pointing out that storing them to root is fine if you've got no other option. Remember LM19 by default does a single partition install.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

gm10 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 am Well, except it's not a backup, it's just to recover from a failed update. Unless you're planning on deleting your root partition it's generally not a problem to keep the snapshots on it as well.

+1

I store my snapshots on the same disk (using BTRFS; it doesn't allow it to be on a separate disk). If your / disk is dying, Timeshift snapshots are the least of your worries.

Return to “Software & Applications”