Newbie Needs Help Fixing Error When Trying to Update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aminer38

Newbie Needs Help Fixing Error When Trying to Update

Post by aminer38 »

I just recently dual booted my laptop with linux mint cinnamon and I was trying to update using the update manager. At first I was having issues with broken packages that I tried fixing. Now I am getting this error and I am not sure what to do.

E: /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-DgArBX/1-linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-36-generic_4.15.0-36.39_amd64.deb: unable to open '/lib/modules/4.15.0-36-generic/kernel/drivers/net/hamradio/6pack.ko.dpkg-new': Operation not permitted
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Newbie Needs Help Fixing Error When Trying to Update

Post by gm10 »

Well, my guess is either your root partition is full or you are running some software blocking access to the file like an anti-virus or some other sandbox like apparmor, or whatever you did to create broken packages (this does not happen during normal operation) also broke something else.
aminer38

Post by aminer38 »

I did install sophos antivirus, so maybe try uninstalling it and updating?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

aminer38 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:45 pm I did install sophos antivirus, so maybe try uninstalling it and updating?
Remove that harmful program.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t-removers
1.1. You don't need any antivirus software or rootkit removers (such as chkrootkit and rkhunter) in your Linux Mint. What's more, those applications even decrease your security(!). Below I'll explain why I'm against installing antivirus and rootkit removers.

a. Antivirus is useless
A virus or rootkit can't install itself in Linux. Mainly because of this: in order to install on your computer, a virus or rootkit needs your password. And that it doesn't have.

Furthermore, you generally only install software from the secured "software store" (repositories) of your Linux distribution. This is a very effective barrier against malware.

Therefore there are no Linux viruses or rootkits "in the wild" (with the exception of web servers, but securing web servers is quite a different cup of tea).

b. Antivirus introduces a dangerous vulnerability
Furthermore, antivirus software sometimes even actively endangers your system: AV software itself is currently being attacked more and more. Because it has by definition high permissions on the system and because it's often inadequately protected against hacking.... This makes AV software an ideal target for hackers.

Return to “Software & Applications”