want to buy a laptop but first i want to know if it uses BIOS or UEFI. How to check?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxcar

want to buy a laptop but first i want to know if it uses BIOS or UEFI. How to check?

Post by linuxcar »

Hello
i am thinking about to buy a Thinkpad T440 P.
But i cant find anyware if this laptop use a BIOS or UEFI.
i cant find this info anyware, also not in the specs.

Does someone know how to find this information?

greetz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: want to buy a laptop but first i want to know if it uses BIOS or UEFI. How to check?

Post by gm10 »

Google says it's UEFI, and it also said you must update your UEFI to the latest version before installing the OS. Installing Linux to UEFI BIOS versions lower than 2.19 apparently destroys the device. Nice! :D
linuxcar

Re: want to buy a laptop but first i want to know if it uses BIOS or UEFI. How to check?

Post by linuxcar »

thanks.
i dont like UEFI. :(
is way to much work to install linux on it.
especially of it has windows on it.

how do you find this info anyway?
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

linuxcar wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:19 am i cant find this info anyware, also not in the specs.
...Page 31...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I've always installed Linux on UEFI since UEFI was a thing and it does not create any extra work. You won't find a recent device without UEFI, but some let you enable a Legacy/CSM mode for BIOS emulation. EFI mode has many advantages over a legacy BIOS but let's not get into that.

And to find the info I just marked your device name in my browser, right clicked to search and clicked the first result google gave me. /shrug
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

gm10 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:38 am................
You won't find a recent decent device without UEFI...
...small typo fix :)

Fun & exaggeration aside, googling reveals there were some problems with it & Bumblebee in the past,
something you might wanna take this account & research it further online.
But I don't think personally you'll have any major problems with it nowadays, at least that's what most people online seem to say.
And if so, certainly not due to it coming with...UEFI. Just make sure that it's firmware is up to date,
Lenovo also provides bootable .iso images for it, thereby making life easier.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thx-1138 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:17 am
gm10 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:38 am................
You won't find a recent decent device without UEFI...
...small typo fix :)
Thx, I'll take it. :lol:

Return to “Software & Applications”