Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ouroborus
Level 1
Level 1

Change undeliverable timeout?

Post by ouroborus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:07 am

After messing up an email address or two when sending email, I get "sender notify: Cannot send message for 5 days". 5 days seems like a lot. I've been pestering Google about this and poking around in config files with no luck.

Where can I change this and how short is to short?

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Change undeliverable timeout?

Post by catweazel » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:27 am

ouroborus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:07 am
After messing up an email address or two when sending email, I get "sender notify: Cannot send message for 5 days". 5 days seems like a lot. I've been pestering Google about this and poking around in config files with no luck.

Where can I change this and how short is to short?
You can't do anything about it. The message is being sent by the mail server of the unintended recipient.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

ouroborus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ouroborus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:38 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:27 am
You can't do anything about it. The message is being sent by the mail server of the unintended recipient.
Pretty sure it's generated by something on my own server. I just can't figure out how to control it. Like, if I send to "somebody@localhost", I'll get this message later.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 pm

ouroborus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:38 pm
Pretty sure it's generated by something on my own server. I just can't figure out how to control it. Like, if I send to "somebody@localhost", I'll get this message later.
What mail service are you using?

ouroborus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ouroborus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:54 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 pm
I'm not entirely sure. sendmail is installed but I'm not sure if I installed something else also. I tried looking into this earlier and sendmail was the only one I was able to confirm.

Trying to poke around in this some more. You may be right about this being another server's response. I had tried to hook up to gmail a while ago. I thought I had removed that but their mail server is still showing up in the logs.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:16 pm

ouroborus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:54 pm
catweazel wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 pm
I'm not entirely sure. sendmail is installed but I'm not sure if I installed something else also. I tried looking into this earlier and sendmail was the only one I was able to confirm.

Trying to poke around in this some more. You may be right about this being another server's response. I had tried to hook up to gmail a while ago. I thought I had removed that but their mail server is still showing up in the logs.
Well, unfortunately this can't be sorted until you know for sure if you're using sendmail locally or not, or if some other mailer is running and being used. If you are using a mailserver locally then the first place to look is its configuration.

ouroborus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ouroborus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:40 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:16 pm
Well, unfortunately this can't be sorted until you know for sure if you're using sendmail locally or not, or if some other mailer is running and being used. If you are using a mailserver locally then the first place to look is its configuration.
Fair enough. How would I track that down? I can confirm it's at least making active use of /var/log/mail.log. sendmail does show up in there occasionally but it's mostly from something called sm-mta.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:04 pm

ouroborus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:40 pm
catweazel wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:16 pm
Fair enough. How would I track that down? I can confirm it's at least making active use of /var/log/mail.log. sendmail does show up in there occasionally but it's mostly from something called sm-mta.
sm-mta is a sendmail process. These are what you need to understand and setup:

https://linux.die.net/man/8/sendmail.sendmail
https://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/x-087-2-sendmail.html

Return to “Software & Applications”