Evolution can't connect after logout/login

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Evolution can't connect after logout/login

Post by Summerof69 »

Hello I've just installed Evolution 3.28.5 the other day and it works ok, I even got the sound on notification to function while firejailing it.

The problem I've encountered is that if I logout and the login again or if I reset the x-server, Evolution will give a number of errors;
such as something like:
"Could not approve:The name 1.9 was not provides by any .service files"
or
"Unable to connect to account on gmail."

And Evolution are not going to work unless I restart the pc. Then it works fine again.Thunderbird works without any errors

I use IMAP to check my 2 gmail accounts.

By the way I've checked and made sure that Firejail has nothing to do with the errors. .

System:
Linux Mint 19 64, Cinnamon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
For millions of years mankind lived much like the animals
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination
We learned to talk
All we need to do is make sure we keep talking
Stephen Hawkin's voice on Keep Talking by Pink Floyd
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Evolution can't connect after logout/login

Post by Summerof69 »

It seems to be related to this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1610944

I've tried to make the workaround script as suggested in the link regarding restarting the goa-daemon, it starts but Evolution still can't connect.

Code: Select all

killall dbus-daemon
sends the system to the login screen, and loggin in there after will restart "dbus-daemon" and the connection between the goa-daemon and the gnome-keyring-daemon, which will enable Evolution to sync and contact google servers. (That is at least how I understand it.)

So far it's either the "killall" command or a system restart that works.
We learned to talk
Neil Darlow

Post by Neil Darlow »

Have you tried just letting the screen lock instead of logging-out? If your session is maintained Evolution should be able to connect.

EDIT: I just tried this (clicking the Screen Lock icon instead of the Logout icon) and it works. I observed this behaviour on fedora also and I think it's a fundamental Evolution implementation issue.
Summerof69
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Summerof69 »

Neil Darlow wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 pm Have you tried just letting the screen lock instead of logging-out? If your session is maintained Evolution should be able to connect.
Hello Neil, Thank you for your reply. Yes I have tried and I also realized that it works when you're locking the pc and not loggin out. :)
I think that I've tried almost anything.

Neil Darlow wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 pm EDIT: I just tried this (clicking the Screen Lock icon instead of the Logout icon) and it works. I observed this behaviour on fedora also and I think it's a fundamental Evolution implementation issue.
I agree. I have found other threads like this one from Red Hat Bugzilla:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1340203

So one might conclude that this is a re occurring event across the two main branches Red Hat and Debian. And both the links that I've posted are from 2016...

What seems to me, to be the problem is the non ability for at least one of the *daemons to close on logout, and when a user logs in again the dbus-daemon, the goa-daemon and the gnome-keyring-daemon is no longer able to connect with each other, because at least one of them is left from the previous login, and expecting another connection. :?

Another inconvenience with this bug is that if you have to reset the x-server, like I do once in a while, the same thing happens.

But as long as I'm the only human user on the system, I can certainly live with things as they are.
We learned to talk

Return to “Software & Applications”