Name of the "Login" application in Settings?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borg101

Name of the "Login" application in Settings?

Post by borg101 »

I'm configuring a laptop for my son whom wants to use Ubuntu. It has a HiDPI display and I have yet to successfully get gdm login to work with HiDPI. I know lightdm does since I use Mint 19, but I am unsure what the name of the "Login" application is so I can install the package on his laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Name of the "Login" application in Settings?

Post by Moem »

In Settings of what?

On my Mint Cinnamon 18.3 it's called Login Window in the settings. But it seems you want the package name? I believe that's 'Login'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ubuntu questions are better asked on the Ubuntu forums.
borg101

Post by borg101 »

Moem wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:11 am In Settings of what?

On my Mint Cinnamon 18.3 it's called Login Window in the settings. But it seems you want the package name? I believe that's 'Login'.
In the settings of Login Window, you can switch HiDPI on lightdm. I've been looking for the package name and haven't been able to find it by searching. Unfortunately, "login" is all to common a term.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It seems to me that the OP wants to install an application on Ubuntu that's normally used on Mint, but I may be wrong, it's unclear to me. OP, please elaborate.
In the settings of Login Window
On which exact OS?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:21 am It seems to me that the OP wants to install an application on Ubuntu that's normally used on Mint, but I may be wrong, it's unclear to me. OP, please elaborate.
In the settings of Login Window
On which exact OS?
In that case the answer would be slick-greeter (provides the lightdm login window for all current Mint editions), but I'm not sure that's what he meant.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Putting on my Ubuntu base cap ...
This is what dpkg on my Ubuntu 18.04.1 Mate tells me:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Sxxx
System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 
           info: mate-panel wm: marco 1.20.1 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 
karl@unimatrix0:~$ dpkg --list lightdm* *greeter* | grep "^ii"
ii  lightdm                         1.26.0-0ubuntu1 i386         Display Manager
ii  lightdm-settings                1.1.4-0ubuntu1  all          LightDM Settings Configuration Tool
ii  slick-greeter                   1.1.4-1         i386         Slick-looking LightDM greeter
So there should already be lightdm, lightdm-settings and slick-greeter. Hey, this reads very much like on Mint 19, does it not?!

But as gdm has been mentioned, I suspect on the main edition, Ubuntu 18.04 with the Gnome3 desktop, it might be gdm and a different greeter screen as well. What do I know? After all Gnome3 is not my mate/Mate (pun intended).
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
gm10

Post by gm10 »

karlchen wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:24 am After all Gnome3 is not my mate/Mate (pun intended).
The worst thing about this is that it actually made me smile. ;)

Return to “Software & Applications”