Is there an application for always-on-top replica windows of apps in Linux?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheVCBK

Is there an application for always-on-top replica windows of apps in Linux?

Post by TheVCBK »

Hello, I was using OnTopReplica on Windows, to be able to see the Discord's video call while I was using the PC (even in full-screen apps), just like in Skype's small window. I'm still using Discord on Linux Mint, but I couldn't find such an app. Shall I try to use the app I used in Windows with WINE or is there something I could do on Linux to make the Discord voice call window smaller and appear always-on-top? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is there an application for always-on-top replica windows of apps in Linux?

Post by smurphos »

What Desktop Environment are you using? In Cinnamon you can right click on any window title bar and pick always on top.

I've just checked and this works over full screen apps (with the side effect that the panel still shows unless it's set to auto-hide).
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
TheVCBK

Post by TheVCBK »

Well, that helps, thank you. My actual problem is Discord voice chat only works on background if it's on fullscreen mode. If there's any way I can shrink that fullscreen window (like I used to, using OnTopReplica), I'd be so glad to know.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi TheVCBK,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Like smurphos said, I'm pretty sure all editions of Linux Mint can right-click anything running in its taskbar and choose "Always on Top" or "Keep Above Others", etc... If You use multiple workspaces (virtual desktops) and or monitor screens, you can also move an application like Discord to another workspace (desktop) or monitor screen and easily switch back and forth between the workspaces using the mouse or keyboard.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
FYI: There are some really good applications like "rambox" and "Franze" that can run one or more messengers at one time. Some people prefer using "rambox" for Skype over the Skype for Linux application.
ramboxapp/community-edition: Free and Open Source messaging and emailing app that combines common web applications into one.
https://github.com/ramboxapp/community-edition

Install on Linux · ramboxapp/community-edition Wiki - recommend using AppImage
https://github.com/ramboxapp/community- ... l-on-Linux

Rambox AppImage download link
https://rambox.pro/api/downloadCE?os=li ... rch=x86_64
Observation: I can only resize (shrink) the Discord messenger application window to certain minimal size and then it will not shrink any further which is due to their developers not Linux.

Hope this helps ...
discord_messenger2.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

TheVCBK wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:11 pm Well, that helps, thank you. My actual problem is Discord voice chat only works on background if it's on fullscreen mode. If there's any way I can shrink that fullscreen window (like I used to, using OnTopReplica), I'd be so glad to know.
It doesn't look hopeful for a direct replacement - no linux versions here - https://alternativeto.net/software/ontopreplica/

But the idea of having discord open in full screen on one workspace and previewing that workspace in window has legs. So I went a hunting and i found this.....https://launchpad.net/~vlijm/+archive/u ... /+packages

It's supposed to be for Unity desktop, the version I installed on Mint 19 Cinnamon was for Zesty - but it works pretty much. Only problem for using it with a full screen app on another workspace is that it's activated from an Indicator / System tray icon. But I don't think it will meet your needs though. Saying that I've only messed with it for 5 minutes. It's kind of cool.

There is also a Gnome Shell extension - might be possible to port that to Cinnamon - https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... r-preview/

Another idea would be to run another Mint install in a VirtualBox and run discord full screen in that VirtualBox - but have the Vbox window shrunk and pinned, or use the tool above the preview the Vbox window.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
TheVCBK

Post by TheVCBK »

I couldn't manage to get more than 1 frame with WindowSpy, but it seems rather close. The thing I really want is that GNOME extension, thank you. I will try to find a way to get it working with Cinnamon, or maybe I'll get myself a GNOME desktop. I will post if I manage to make it work. Thanks, again :)

Return to “Software & Applications”