Desktop Icons Missing and Thoughts.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ImConfused
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop Icons Missing and Thoughts.

Post by ImConfused »

Linux Mint 19.1 Mate: What worked for me after much suffering was:
Open Control Center.
Look and Feel Group
Desktop settings on left
Window manager Marco (somewhere I changed this and nothing worked but I change back with results)

Open the Caja file manager.
Open Control Center
Open Mate Tweaks. If the icons are not there uncheck Desktop Icons and check them again The icons reappeared.

The settings did not hold between logins.
I opened the Caja with the desktop icon in the panel and and then unclicked and clicked the Mate Tweaks Desktop Icons. They would appear.

From my reading and what I have personally observed after a lot of frustration is that the Desktop icons are dependent on Caja.

When I start a session after logging to Linux Mint and I start Caja from the terminal caja I get messages:
Initializing caja-open-terminal extension
Initializing caja-xattr-tags extension

When I close the caja window after opening I get in terminal:
(caja:7682): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:10:49.112: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(caja:7682): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:10:49.112: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(caja:7682): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:10:49.113: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(caja:7682): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:10:49.113: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

The terminal command is still open since I don't see that it finished. I then proceed to force the terminal closed. The icons disappear from the desktop.

I try to open Caja from the terminal again and get the message:
(caja:12524): dbind-WARNING **: 17:25:16.335: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Initializing caja-open-terminal extension
Initializing caja-xattr-tags extension

Again forcing this terminal closed after using the x to close the window makes the icons disappear. I don't understand any of this. This problem has been around for a while. I just had it affect me. I saw some of it when I was trying to upgrade the kernel in Linux mint 18.3. Now I still have my work around but it isn't right and needs to be fixed.

On the initial opening of Linux Mint by opening the Caja with the icon it stays open for the session but I am sure that things are not right since it doesn't carry on after logging out of Linux Mint and logging in. I hope that this helps someone to get the problem really solved.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”