Wine will not install in LM19

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Wine will not install in LM19

Post by rc_racer »

I recently did a fresh install of LM19. It is a duel boot with MX 17. 1. I am trying to install wine. I used the software application manager and downloaded the wine application among several that I thought would be the appropriate package to use-[wine-stable]. It showed installed but when I did an application search in the menu search program I could not find it. So I uninstalled it and tried again. Same problem. I also tried using the terminal to install it using the command " apt install wine-stable" and it would not install. I did a apt policy wine command and got the following result "

apt policy wine
wine:
Installed: (none)

I tried finding the solution by searching the forums and found two persons having the same problem saying that wine is not available for LM19. I appear to be having the same problem. When I try it shows available for download. Shows it has downloaded. The problem I keep having is that it is no where to be found. I have only one old application that takes windows to open, but I really depend on it, Wine did a good job for this application in LM18 (Sarah). I can not understand why wine did not come automaticity installed in LM19 as it did in other previous versions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Wine will not install in LM19

Post by gm10 »

Wine has no menu entries. Assuming you installed it via Software Manager as you said you did, in a terminal window run

Code: Select all

winecfg
to set it up, then

wine program.exe
to run a Windows program (replace program.exe with the name and path to your program, of course).

Should the program you run be an installer that offers to create Windows Start menu entries, those will then instead be created in your Mint menu, allowing you to launch the installed program from there in the future without having to use the command line.
rc_racer wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:04 am I can not understand why wine did not come automaticity installed in LM19 as it did in other previous versions.
Because a whole lot of users have no need for Windows programs on Linux.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

rc_racer wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:04 am the appropriate package to use-[wine-stable].
it using the command " apt install wine-stable" and it would not install.
Saying what didn't happen doesn't tell much of anything - did it "not install" because it was already installed?"
I did a apt policy wine command and got the following result "

apt policy wine
wine:
Try checking the same package you installed:

apt policy wine-stable
Also

wine --version
I tried finding the solution by searching the forums and found two persons having the same problem saying that wine is not available for LM19.
It's available for Mint 19 and works.
I can not understand why wine did not come automaticity installed in LM19 as it did in other previous versions.
I'm *pretty sure* wine was never installed by default in any recent Mint distros.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rc_racer.

Wine has never come pre-installed on Linux Mint. At least never since Linux Mint 12. Which was the first Mint release that I installed on one of my computers.
On Mint 19, Wine 3.0 can be installed from the official Ubuntu software repositories. No problem.

The only nuisance, which at least I consider a nuisance, is that at some time between Wine 1.6.2 (Mint 18.x) and Wine 3.0 (Mint 19), the Wine developers decided that it were a smart idea not to create the Wine submenu in the applications menu, once Wine had been installed.
(No Winecfg menu item, no Wine Editor menu item, no Wine browser item, nothing) Only once you have installed your first Windows application through Wine, the Wine submenu will be displayed in the application menu, holding exactly the just installed Windows application.

I am a bit clueless what you actually did in order to prevent Wine from working on your Mint 19.
The main package which you need is named wine-stable by the way. But this has been mentioned before.

Good luck.
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

I do stand corrected. I forgot that I did have to install Wine after I downloaded Mint. I am also a bit clueless as to what I actually did in order to prevent wine from working in Mint 19. I'm not very knowledgeable with the command line and all its function so I don't always get it. After considering these replys I suspect that I had it downloaded and couldn't see it in the menu and didn't know I had to use the command line to configure it and set it up. Thanks.
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

gm10 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 am Wine has no menu entries. Assuming you installed it via Software Manager as you said you did, in a terminal window run

winecfg
to set it up, then

wine program.exe
to run a Windows program (replace program.exe with the name and path to your program, of course).

Should the program you run be an installer that offers to create Windows Start menu entries, those will then instead be created in your Mint menu, allowing you to launch the installed program from there in the future without having to use the command line.
rc_racer wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:04 am I can not understand why wine did not come automaticity installed in LM19 as it did in other previous versions.
Because a whole lot of users have no need for Windows programs on Linux.
ok I did these commands in the terminal. Still Not working also did apt policy wine-stable and wine --version commands and had to download wine32 but then the terminal said it could not find it. I did a screenshot of the terminal output but I do not no how to attach it to this post.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Preferably you just copy & paste the terminal output here.

Otherwise you can attach screenshots as attachments or upload elsewhere and link here (but we really prefer a copy & paste of whatever you did).
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

rc_racer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 amI did a screenshot of the terminal output but I do not no how to attach it to this post.
Is there some reason why you cannot simply copy the output text and paste it into a message, bracketed by a pair of CODE tags to keep things neat, as per normal? As far as I know, this forum does not host users' images, therefore you'd have to upload it to an off-site host and then link to it with IMG tags. Which would work, I suppose, but it's not best practice (IMHO). EDIT: Oops, gm10 beat me to it.

By the way, what output do you get if you open a terminal window and paste this into it (again, please copy the text with SHIFT CTRL C and paste it within CODE tags)?

dpkg -l | grep -E '^ii' | grep wine
Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:19 am
rc_racer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 amI did a screenshot of the terminal output but I do not no how to attach it to this post.
Is there some reason why you cannot simply copy the output text and paste it into a message, bracketed by a pair of CODE tags to keep things neat, as per normal? As far as I know, this forum does not host users' images, therefore you'd have to upload it to an off-site host and then link to it with IMG tags. Which would work, I suppose, but it's not best practice (IMHO). EDIT: Oops, gm10 beat me to it.

By the way, what output do you get if you open a terminal window and paste this into it (again, please copy the text with SHIFT CTRL C and paste it within CODE tags)?

dpkg -l | grep -E '^ii' | grep wine

randall@randall-Dell-DM061:~$ dpkg -l | grep -E '^ii' | grep wine
ii  libwine:amd64                              3.0-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Windows API implementation - library
ii  libwine:i386                               3.0-1ubuntu1                        i386         Windows API implementation - library
ii  wine-stable                                3.0-1ubuntu1                        all          Windows API implementation - standard suite
ii  wine32:i386                                3.0-1ubuntu1                        i386         Windows API implementation - 32-bit binary loader
ii  wine64                                     3.0-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Windows API implementation - 64-bit binary loader
Regards,

this is what I get
MDM
MtnDewManiac wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:19 am dpkg -l | grep -E '^ii' | grep wine
Flemur wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:43 am
rc_racer wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:04 am the appropriate package to use-[wine-stable].
it using the command " apt install wine-stable" and it would not install.
Saying what didn't happen doesn't tell much of anything - did it "not install" because it was already installed?"
I did a apt policy wine command and got the following result "

apt policy wine
wine:
Try checking the same package you installed:

apt policy wine-stable
Also

wine --version
I tried finding the solution by searching the forums and found two persons having the same problem saying that wine is not available for LM19.
It's available for Mint 19 and works.
I can not understand why wine did not come automaticity installed in LM19 as it did in other previous versions.
I'm *pretty sure* wine was never installed by default in any recent Mint distros.
ok
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Took me a moment to see your text... Appears as if you have already installed Wine.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”