Ranger File Display

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
artmann

Ranger File Display

Post by artmann »

Slight noobie here, have been learning quite a bit about Linux Mint in the past few months.

My current issues stem from using the file manager Ranger. It took me quite a while to figure out how to get image previews to work but upon doing so, now standard text documents will not preview. At the same time, the previewed images seem to load, and stay loaded upon looking at another image, causing the two to overlap. It's been highly frustrating.

Nothing has been changed post download of Ranger besides setting preview_images=true and use_preview_script=true in the rc.conf, which allowed me to view images via w3m. Having done so, I'm not longer able to preview text files. Although when I change said variables back to false, it again allows me to preview text files, but not images. Having said that, I'm positive the problem stems from the scope.sh script used to preview all files. My only issue is how I would change said script file to fix the text file previewing issue I'm experiencing.

Regarding the image previewing issue I'm having, I'm also sure that has something to do with the actual printout of the preview regarding load time / size / etc. but honestly as long as I could fix the text preview, I'd be able to deal with the slight issue concerning the image previews.
I'm also using the Xfce terminal if that helps anything.

If anyone has any experience with ranger and its config files, I'd be ever grateful for some help. Thanks!

Attached are pictures of said issues.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ranger File Display

Post by phd21 »

HI artmann,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I am not very familiar with the Ranger FIle Manager, but there are other file managers and existing file managers can be updated and or modified.

It is a good idea to install the "mediainfo" and "mediainfo-gui" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for many apps to view the multimedia file information.

A.) Cinnamon Nemo file manager

How to view file(video) detailed properties through file folder or properties - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=278052&hilit=nemo

bulk rename with nemo - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279848&hilit=nemo

File encryption ideas for newbies - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279706&hilit=nemo

B.) Install the excellent Dolphin file manager in Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce
Can't get an image preview at file manager - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=268018&p=1460132#p1460132

C.) "Polo" - New Advanced file manager for Linux written in Vala. Supports multiple panes (single, dual, quad) with multiple tabs in each pane. Supports archive creation, extraction and browsing. Support for cloud storage; running and managing KVM images, modifying PDF documents and image files, booting ISO files in KVM, and writing ISO files to USB drives. Preview pane with multimedia info, etc...
https://github.com/teejee2008/polo

Polo Installation - PPA or Deb file
https://github.com/teejee2008/polo/wiki/Installation

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”