Stacer (system optimizer and monitor) will not run..LM19 Mate

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redlined

Stacer (system optimizer and monitor) will not run..LM19 Mate

Post by redlined »

I've seen Stacer mentioned a couple times in forums and really like the looks of it but it will not run.

any ideas?

Code: Select all

anyuser@OEMTUFFBOOK:~$ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: OEMTUFFBOOK Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic i686
           bits: 32 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 (Gtk 3.22.30) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Matsushita product: CF-51JF4ECBM v: 002 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Matsushita model: CF51-2 v: 001 serial: N/A
           BIOS: Phoenix K.K. v: V2.00L11 date: 03/17/2004
Battery    BATA: charge: 72.5 Wh 99.0% condition: 73.3/73.3 Wh (100%)
           model: Panasonic CF-VZSU29 status: N/A
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) 
           arch: Dothan rev.8 cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (nx pae sse sse2) bmips: 3990 speed: 2000 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV370/M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x1200@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: ATI RV370
           version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller
           driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 1c00 1880 bus-ID: 00:1e.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-36-generic
Network:   Card-1: Marvell 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: 4000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection
           driver: ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq bus-ID: 06:04.0
           IF: wlp6s4 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (56.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HTS541080G9AT00 size: 80.0GB
           Optical-1: /dev/sr0 model: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-831S
           rev: 1.01 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 19G used: 11G (61%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 42G used: 28G (70%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 69.8C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 164 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 1006.8/2011.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 
anyuser@OEMTUFFBOOK:~$ 
(edit to add inxi data)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Stacer (system optimizer and monitor) will not run..LM19 Mate

Post by kc1di »

I have it working fine on Mint 19 Mate, but I use the appimage and no install is need just download make executable and run.
you can find the appimage here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/stacer/
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
redlined

Post by redlined »

kc1di wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:49 pm I have it working fine on Mint 19 Mate, but I use the appimage and no install is need just download make executable and run.
you can find the appimage here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/stacer/
Thank you for the response kc1di! I followed instruction from the github page, adding it as ppa and installing.

Forgive my newbie questions (probably should have stayed hidden in newbie group for this question too:) but would it be better to uninstall and run it as you do?

and is there anything special I need do to the appimage file downloaded from sourceforge?
(to "make executable" is as simple as right click on file, properties, permissions, execute-allow executing file as program, correct?)
redlined

Post by redlined »

huh, just noticed something..

does Stacer work on a 32bit system? I ask because the sourceforge link started download for stacer_1.0.9_amd64.deb, so looking again at files available I tried one with appimage name "/v1.0.9/Stacer-x86_64.AppImage" which fails with "file not found or available, please choose another", and thinking all the files with 64 are for 64bit OS(?)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I am not sure that "Stacer" will run properly on a 32-bit system, and the AppImage looks like it is 64-bit.

What happened after installing it using the PPA, does it come up and work?

FYI: I would highly recommend getting a 64-bit computer asap because 32-bit is being quickly phased out and most software is not being created, updated, or maintained for 32-bit systems anymore. Even a good used 64-bit computer would be faster and better than a 32-bit computer.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
redlined

Post by redlined »

phd21 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:39 pm Hi redlined,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I am not sure that "Stacer" will run properly on a 32-bit system, and the AppImage looks like it is 64-bit.

What happened after installing it using the PPA, does it come up and work?

FYI: I would highly recommend getting a 64-bit computer asap because 32-bit is being quickly phased out and most software is not being created, updated, or maintained for 32-bit systems anymore. Even a good used 64-bit computer would be faster and better than a 32-bit computer.
Hi phd21, thank you for your response! Since I have not found an appimage that sounds like 32bit support I've not tried running what's available from sourceforge. I have installed via ppa method advised on the github page and there were no errors or warnings doing so, however, when I open Stacer from menu it actually does nothing at all (but it does show up in the recently used applications list). I am unsure what to do to see if any errors are happening behind the scenes that will point to a reason it's not running.

about the 64bit advice, we have two modern laptops both 64bit but mine has a dead HDD waiting for a replacement to get budgetted in. That leaves me this real old (circa 2004) 'throw-away' laptop to play with. and, believe it or not a 32bit hardware desktop machine from lenovo that was put together in 2009 which I run win7 and will setup dual boot with LM19 Cinnamon when 19.1 is released. I think they put the last of the 32bit hardware together just to sneak that desktop out to the masses when 64bit was becoming the future and 32bit faded away. Since LM19 still works the plan to replace the desktop is postponed as long as LM supports it, otherwise, yes, I do need to get my good laptop fixed soon!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi redlined,

You are welcome...

"Stacer" is a very cool and nice application, but be very cautious when cleaning and or removing anything using any application to not remove any necessary system files.

I cannot recommend highly enough to people to replace mechanical platter hard drives (HDD) with Sold State Drives (SDD) which will make a huge improvement in overall system performance and they are supposed to last longer as well. The SSD prices are now very reasonable. I have a Silicon Power 256GB SSD 3D NAND A55 ($40us) and a Patriot Burst 480gb (now $63us) and both work very well. You can get a 128gb SSDrive for less than $30us nowadays. Note: you may need to get a "mounting kit" although most laptops would not need this.

Use any working mechanical platter hard drives (HDD) in good condition for bulk or extra storage (data partition).

Amazon.com: ssd hard drive - 4 Stars & Up
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72 ... 2661617011

Example Mounting Kit
Amazon.com: NC XQIN SSD Bracket, 2.5 Inch SSD to 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Disk Drive Mounting Kit with SATA Data Cables and Power Cables
https://www.amazon.com/NC-XQIN-Bracket- ... 2661618011

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

try launch stacer in a terminal if there are errors they will show up there.
I didn't know it was a 32 bit machine. so no the appimage will only work with 64 bit machine.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
redlined

Post by redlined »

Thank you phd21, I hadn't realized the big SSDs were getting so inexpensive! (now I know what to tell momma I want for xmas, will have usb drive loaded with LM19.1 64bit ready to go;)

kc1di, this is what I get when launching from terminal (tried both as user and with superuser to see if it made a difference)

Code: Select all

anyuser@OEMTUFFBOOK:~$ stacer
bash: /usr/bin/stacer: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
anyuser@OEMTUFFBOOK:~$ sudo stacer
/usr/bin/stacer: 1: /usr/bin/stacer: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
really a linux newb, if this is not correct please be gentle in correcting my method(s) :oops:

Return to “Software & Applications”